Meaning of mathematic operator

In summary, the symbols ≤ (less than or equal to) and "less than over equal to" are two different notations for the same concept. They both represent an inequality where the left side is less than or equal to the right side. "Less than over equal to" may be used in vector inequalities, but it does not have a different meaning in that context. In general, they can be used interchangeably.
songoku

Homework Statement

What is the difference between ≤ (less than or equal to) and "less than over equal to" (the operator is similar but there are 2 lines under the 'less than' operator)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply do not know the difference. And how to use the operator "less than over equal to" ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:

Homework Statement

What is the difference between ≤ (less than or equal to) and "less than over equal to" (the operator is similar but there are 2 lines under the 'less than' operator)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply do not know the difference. And how to use the operator "less than over equal to" ?

Thanks

They mean the same thing; they are just two slightly different notations for the same concept.

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
They mean the same thing; they are just two slightly notations for the same concept.

RGV

If they mean the same thing (I mean 100% same, no difference at all), why are there two notations?

Maybe this will help me more:
1. Is x ≤ 3 the same as x less than over equal to 3 ?

2. Are there any cases we must use "less than over equal to", not ≤ ?

Thanks RGV

eumyang said:

I don't really understand that vector inequalities. I think it means that in vector inequalities, if x ≤ y, it means that x ≠ y.

Maybe you want to tell me that one of the application of "less than over equal to" is in vector inequalities.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the meaning of a mathematical operator?

A mathematical operator is a symbol or sign that represents a specific mathematical operation, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. These operators are used to manipulate numbers and perform calculations in mathematics.

2. How many types of mathematical operators are there?

There are four main types of mathematical operators: addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (*), and division (/). These are also known as the basic arithmetic operations. Other common operators include exponents (^), square roots (√), and percentages (%).

3. What is the order of operations when using multiple mathematical operators?

The order of operations, also known as the "PEMDAS" rule, is used to determine the priority of mathematical operations. This stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This order ensures that calculations are performed correctly and consistently.

4. Can mathematical operators be used with non-numeric values?

Yes, mathematical operators can be used with both numeric and non-numeric values. For example, the addition operator (+) can be used with both numbers and strings in programming languages to concatenate or combine values. However, some operators may have different meanings when used with non-numeric values, such as the subtraction operator (-) when used with strings in some programming languages.

5. Are there any special rules or exceptions for using mathematical operators?

Yes, there are some special rules and exceptions for using mathematical operators. For example, the division operator (/) has the exception of not being able to divide by zero, as it would result in an undefined or infinite value. Additionally, when using exponents, a negative number as the base must be enclosed in parentheses to avoid confusion. It is important to understand these rules and exceptions when using mathematical operators to avoid errors in calculations.