1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of mathematic operator

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the difference between ≤ (less than or equal to) and "less than over equal to" (the operator is similar but there are 2 lines under the 'less than' operator)

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    I simply do not know the difference. And how to use the operator "less than over equal to" ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They mean the same thing; they are just two slightly different notations for the same concept.

RGV

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    If they mean the same thing (I mean 100% same, no difference at all), why are there two notations?

Maybe this will help me more:
    1. Is x ≤ 3 the same as x less than over equal to 3 ?

2. Are there any cases we must use "less than over equal to", not ≤ ?

Thanks RGV

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  6. Oct 20, 2011 #5
    I don't really understand that vector inequalities. I think it means that in vector inequalities, if x ≤ y, it means that x ≠ y.

Maybe you want to tell me that one of the application of "less than over equal to" is in vector inequalities.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook