Meaning of operators for observables.

In summary: Thank you for your input. In summary, the observable's operator provides all the information needed to diagonalize the operator's matrix, even if the observable's operator is not itself the unitary operator used to perform the basis change.
SlyBoy and Turin:
Thanks for your posts. I can't say anything right now because I have to think about it. I prited it out and I'll study the subject tonight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi guys,
After this long silence, I wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about the issues discussed in this thread and I have learned a good deal, but I have not gotten to the point I feel I have an answer to my original question. I have some ideas, but I am not sure.
I want to thank you all, your posts have helped me a lot, and have made my search for understanding less lonely. (I can't talk to my wife about QM)
Anyway, this thread is getting kind of long. I am planning on starting at least two new threads on more specific questions I ran into while trying to understand the meaning of operators:

Thread: Understanding the commutator.

Thread: The momentum operator as the generator of translations

So I'll consider this thread practically closed, unless you are a new visitor to the thread who feels there is more to be said. Otherwise, I invite you to my two new threads.

Last edited: