Meaning of vanishes outside a set of finite measure

In summary, "vanishes outside a set of finite measure" means that a function is equal to zero outside a set with finite measure, as seen in the definition of the integral in Royden's Real Analysis. This is illustrated by the value of a characteristic function when x is outside the set being integrated over.
guildmage
meaning of "vanishes outside a set of finite measure"

What does it mean when we say that a function vanishes outside a set of finite measure? As in the definition of the integral as a prelude to the Lebesgue integral in Royden's Real Analysis, 3rd ed. (p. 77). It said:

If [tex]\phi[/tex] vanishes outside a set of finite measure, we define the integral of [tex]\phi[/tex] by

[tex]\int{\phi(x)dx} = \sum^{n}_{i=1}{{a_i}{mA_i}}[/tex]​

Physics news on Phys.org

it means [tex]\phi[/tex] is zero. think of the value of a characteristic function when x is outside the set of finite measure you're integrating over. hopefully i didn't embarrass myself this time :tongue2:

It means there is a set E with finite measure such that f(x) = 0 if x is not in E.

What does it mean when something "vanishes" outside a set of finite measure?

When we say that something "vanishes" outside a set of finite measure, it means that the value or quantity of that something approaches zero as we move further away from the set. In other words, it becomes insignificant or negligible outside the set.

Why is it important to consider the measure of a set when discussing vanishing behavior?

The measure of a set determines the size or extent of that set. Therefore, when we talk about vanishing behavior, it is important to consider the measure of a set because it tells us how quickly or slowly a quantity approaches zero outside that set.

Can something "vanish" outside a set of infinite measure?

No, something cannot "vanish" outside a set of infinite measure because an infinite measure implies that the set has an infinite size or extent. In other words, the quantity or value of that something does not approach zero as we move further away from the set, but rather remains constant or even increases.

What are some examples of things that can "vanish" outside a set of finite measure?

Some examples include probability distributions, functions, and sequences. For instance, the probability of getting a certain outcome from a random experiment may approach zero as we move further away from a certain set of outcomes. Similarly, a function may approach zero outside a certain interval or a sequence may approach zero as the terms become increasingly larger.

How does the concept of vanishing outside a set of finite measure relate to integration in mathematics?

The concept of vanishing outside a set of finite measure is closely related to integration, particularly in the context of improper integrals. Improper integrals are used to calculate the area under a curve that may not have a finite limit at one or both ends. In such cases, the integral "vanishes" outside the interval of integration, indicating that the area under the curve approaches zero as we move further away from the interval.