1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure acceleration of a space capsule.

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,

I have been given a coursework assignment to devise a means of measuring acceleration of a space capsule, to measure acceleration during space travel. This must be attached to an appropriate place in the capsule. My lecturer hinted that this could be done by measuring the forces of inertia or by using a piston controlled by a substance. I am just looking for any websites that might be helpful on this as I can't seem to find any websites on the inertia forces which are relevant to space.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

A term you might want to use in your searches is "accelerometer". Add things like "homemade" or "DIY" or "project" to spice things up.

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    Hi, I have been checking out basic spring accelerometers. What I would like to know if it is possible to use mass on the end of a spring to calculate g-force and would it be possible for someone to point me in the right direction for how I would begin to do this

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook