Measure Energy from Spring Motion (VIV)

In summary, the conversation discusses a project related to vortex induced vibration and the measurement of its efficiency in extracting energy from moving fluid. The idea proposed involves using a spring to measure the energy output, but it is pointed out that this may not accurately reflect the energy extracted from the system. Alternatives such as using a mechanical damper are suggested.
MechaMZ
Hi,

i hope someone can kindly give me some opinions for my idea :)

I've a project related to vortex induced vibration. The prototype has a cylinder submerging into moving fluid, and it generates a upward/ downward motion in cycles.

I want to measure the efficiency of my prototype, which energy can be extracted by my prototype from the moving fluid.

Due to prototype's limitation, it seems hard for me to install a small scale alternator to measure energy output. Thus, I've an idea to measure it by the spring movement. i.e. spring extension and compression.

the idea is:
attachment.php?attachmentid=39182&stc=1&d=1316717423.png

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39181&d=1316715663

there are 4 phases of the spring, i.e.
(1) no load
(2) extended by cylinder and its supports, the cylinder is under equilibrium by spring force, bouncy force and weight.
(3) cylinder is moving downward by exerted force due to vortex, spring extended.
(4) cylinder is moving upward by exerted force due to vortex, spring compressed.

the cylinder is moving up and down continuously. my method is:

(1) let the energy extracted from moving fluid = total energy stored in the spring
(2) total energy stored in the spring = 0.5k(XB)2 + 0.5k(XC)2 - 0.5k(XA)2

here i only look into one cycle of motion. hope anyone could kindly enlighten me, thank you and appreciated!

Attachments

• VIV1234.jpg
    VIV1234.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 553
  • VIV1234.png
    VIV1234.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 414
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think this idea is fundamentally wrong, because on average the spring does not extract any energy from the system. The spring contains some strain energy when it is compresssed, but that energy is returned to the rest of the system (by exerting a force on the cylinder) when the spring returns to its original length.

This is not the same as taking mechanical energy out of the system completely, by comverrting it into electrical energy.

You might be able to use a mechanical damper (e.g. a dashpot) instead of the spring, but you will have to select the damping coefficient so that it dissipates the same amount of energy as your electrical generator would do.

1. How do you measure the energy from spring motion in VIV?

There are a few different ways to measure the energy from spring motion in VIV, depending on the specific setup and parameters. One common method is to measure the displacement and velocity of the spring over time and then calculate the kinetic and potential energy using known equations. Another approach is to use sensors to directly measure the force and displacement of the spring, which can then be used to calculate the energy.

2. What factors affect the energy measured in VIV?

The energy measured in VIV can be affected by several factors, including the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, the stiffness of the spring, and the damping of the system. Other external factors such as fluid viscosity and density can also have an impact on the energy measurements.

3. Is it possible to determine the energy dissipation in VIV?

Yes, it is possible to determine the energy dissipation in VIV. This can be done by measuring the energy input into the system and comparing it to the energy output. The difference between the two can be attributed to energy dissipation, which can be caused by factors such as damping and fluid viscosity.

4. How can the energy from spring motion in VIV be used in practical applications?

The energy from spring motion in VIV can be harnessed for various applications, such as powering small devices or generating electricity. This is known as Vortex Induced Vibration Energy Harvesting (VIVEH) and involves converting the oscillating motion of the spring into usable energy.

5. What are the limitations of measuring energy from spring motion in VIV?

There are several limitations to consider when measuring energy from spring motion in VIV. These include potential errors in measurements, variations in system parameters and environmental conditions, and the need for accurate and precise instrumentation. Additionally, the energy output from VIV can be relatively low, making it less suitable for large-scale energy production.