Measure the state of the second qubit

In summary: But your summary should be that the probability of measuring the second qubit as zero is 17/30, and the state of the other two qubits after measurement is ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{17}} (4|00 \rangle_{1,3} + 4i|01 \rangle_{1,3} -i|10 \rangle_{1,3} +i|11 \rangle_{1,3})##. In summary, the probability of measuring the second qubit as zero is 17/30 and the state of the other two qubits after measurement is ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{17}} (4|00 \rangle_{1,3} + 4
Kara386

Homework Statement

For the state
##(4|00\rangle+3i|11\rangle)\otimes (|0\rangle+i|1\rangle) + (2|01\rangle -i|10\rangle)\otimes(|0\rangle-|1\rangle)##
What's the probability of zero being the outcome of measuring the second bit and what is the state of the other two qubits after measurement?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Expanding the tensor product, for half the states the second qubit is zero so the probability is half, but I don't know what I can say about the state of the other two. Because in states where the second qubit is zero, the other qubits are sometimes one and sometimes zero I think? Unless I've calculated the states wrong? I had the final state after measurement as this:

##\frac{1}{\sqrt{34}} (4|000\rangle + 4i|001\rangle -i|100\rangle +i|101\rangle)##
Which tells me about all three qubits after measurement not just two of them.
Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kara386 said:
Expanding the tensor product, for half the states the second qubit is zero so the probability is half
The part in bold is not correct.

Kara386 said:
##\frac{1}{\sqrt{34}} (4|000\rangle + 4i|001\rangle -i|100\rangle +i|101\rangle)##
Which tells me about all three qubits after measurement not just two of them.
That's just a question of notation. You can factor out the state of qubit 2, and write the remaining kets for qubits 1 and 3. (To avoid confusion, I would write something like ##| 00 \rangle_{1,3}## for state ##| 000 \rangle##, etc.)

Likes Kara386
DrClaude said:
The part in bold is not correct.That's just a question of notation. You can factor out the state of qubit 2, and write the remaining kets for qubits 1 and 3. (To avoid confusion, I would write something like ##| 00 \rangle_{1,3}## for state ##| 000 \rangle##, etc.)
Ah, if I actually normalise the wavefunction and use the coefficients then I get a probability of 17/30. And I'll adopt that notation for my answer, thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Kara386 said:
Ah, if I actually normalise the wavefunction and use the coefficients then I get a probability of 17/30.
That's better!

1. What is the purpose of measuring the state of the second qubit?

Measuring the state of the second qubit is a fundamental step in quantum computing as it allows us to obtain information about the quantum system and perform calculations and operations on the qubits.

2. How is the state of the second qubit measured?

The state of the second qubit is measured by applying a measurement operation to the qubit, which causes it to collapse into one of its possible states (0 or 1) with a certain probability determined by its quantum state.

3. What information can be obtained from measuring the state of the second qubit?

Measuring the state of the second qubit provides information about the probability of finding the qubit in a certain state, which can be used to perform calculations and operations in a quantum circuit.

4. Is measuring the state of the second qubit destructive?

Yes, measuring the state of the second qubit causes it to collapse into one of its possible states, thus losing its original quantum state. This is known as the measurement collapse.

5. How does measuring the state of the second qubit affect the other qubits in a quantum system?

Measuring the state of the second qubit can cause entanglement with the other qubits in the system, meaning that their states become correlated and cannot be described independently. This can have consequences on the outcome of future measurements and operations on the system.