1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[measure theory] measurable function f and simple function g

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone!

my problem:

since every simple function is bounded, we at once know, that either is our function f, cause:
    [tex] - \epsilon + g(x) <= f(x) <= \epsilon + g(x)[/tex], so that's obviously not the problem here. this whole measure stuff doesn't get into my intuition and I don't have any idea how to try to solve this task. if i knew, that for each [tex]\epsilon[/tex] i could get a measurable function g, it would be obvious, that f is measurable too [wouldn't it?], but can i really always have a measurable function g?

i would be very grateful for any hints. hope my english isnt terrible enough to disturb the sense of this post.

rahl.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2
    Think about why pointwise limits of measurable functions ought to be measurable. Also, hopefully those simple functions are measurable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook