1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak chapter 3 problem 24 - proof of a composition

1. Jul 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose g is a function with the property that g(x) =/= g(y) if x=/=y.
    Prove that there is a function f such that f( g(x) ) = x. (The composition)

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of a function, collection of ordered pairs;
    g(x) =/= g(y) if x=/=y;
    x → g(x) → x (The composition that has to be proven).

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since all g(x) are actually unique, that means there is a function f whose domain is a collection of all g(x) and that assigns the value x to all g(x), so that f is a collection of ordered pairs of the form (g(x), x). In other words, there is no contradiction from definition of a function, thus such a function does exist.

My problem is that I am extremely careful with proofs and to be honest this "proof" of mine seems lazy and wrong and full of holes. The part where I assume that f can assign x to g(x) seems very sketchy. I also found out that this is somehow a proof that there is an inverse function f for function g, if g(x) are all unique.

So I wonder if this is actually the right way of doing things, or did I miss sth crucial and my "proof" has bunch of holes in it or is it even plain miss from the start.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2017 #2
    I would say it is correct.

4. Jul 18, 2017 #3
    Thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted