Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement and Stern Gerlach Experiments review articles?

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone

In my attempt to understand the details of Stern Gerlach experiments and measurment issues in quantum mechanics, I have come to believe that there is a lot to be learnt from some of the basic thought experiments like interference and Stern Gerlach described in books. Unfortunately, I have not found books that deal with these issues in considerable rigour, as these topics are usually preludes to formalism and abstraction.

I was hoping someone could point me to review articles on the Stern Gerlach Experiment where some of these things have been discussed in more detail both physically and mathematically. I am looking for them on google and arxiv, but I find very specific articles about entanglement, coherence, spin, etc. which of course I want to read too, but a more evolutionary approach would be desirable.

If you have any specific suggestions about books or papers, please do reply to this thread.

Thanks and cheers,
    maverick.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2
  4. Jul 30, 2008 #3

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry for not paying attention to PF, I've been so busy lately.

Julian Schwinger defined a version of QM now called "Schwinger's Measurement Algebra". It's based on the algebra of Stern-Gerlach experiments. Here, "algebra" means what happens when you hook up the output streams of Stern-Gerlach experiments to the inputs of other Stern-Gerlach experiments (multiplication), or when you take the outputs of two S-G experiments and combine them (addition).

This is a favorite subject of mine so I started a website with links to the original papers (which are quite readable):
    http://www.measurementalgebra.com/

Schwinger's measurement algebra is said to be quite elegant.

Carl

5. Aug 2, 2008 #4
    Hi, thanks for your reply, both to this thread and the other one. I am sorry for the late acknowledgment, I'll take a good look at your web site and the thread. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?