Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement of concentration of urea

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    Dear All

Does anyone have any idea about how to determine the concentration of liquid urea. The concentration is a bit higher (0.5-1.5 mol/L). Is there any laboratory techniques or Kit? I looked for and found everywhere the method to measure the amount of urea in blood and urea but what I want is in terms of mol/L.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You can always dilute your sample, use one of the methods for which the procedure is easy to to obtain (perhaps spectrophotometric determination with diacetyl monoxime?), then calculate the concentration in the original sample.

4. Dec 4, 2012 #3
    Thank you Borek.

Will this method work if there is some impurities other than urea? For example I will inject 0.5 M urea into one end of a 1 m long tube full of sand. Then I collect samples from the other end and try to evaluate the concentration.

Thanks in advance.

Peace
    Deb

5. Dec 4, 2012 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You found the method everywhere and you want to know what it is? :confused: Hard to understand what your problem is.

6. Dec 8, 2012 #5
    Probably, I could not make you understand. Let me start from the beginning. I have some water samples obtained from the sandy soil. They are a bit turbid and contain urea in higher concentrations (more than 0.5 mol/L). I would like to evaluate the concentrations of only urea of each of these samples. Please share if you know any easier method. Do you suggest me to dissociate it using some enzymes? But it does not sound quantitative is it?

7. Dec 8, 2012 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you've read and are familiar with this paper and the references within? Perhaps this one as well?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook