Measuring conductivity of a semiconductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges and methods of measuring the conductivity of a semiconductor with variation in temperature. It is noted that non-ohmic behavior can prevent simple voltage-current measurements from accurately determining resistance and conductivity. Instead, it is suggested to report the entire I-V curve over relevant voltages or to specify conductivity in the low voltage limit. The recommended approach is to perform I-V measurements on appropriately fabricated devices.
Cheetox
I'm wondering how one would go about measuring the conductivity of a semiconductor with variation in temperature, I assume the non ohmic behaviour prevents one from making simple voltage current measurements and then inferring resistance and the conductivity...any answers much appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know you have non-ohmic behavior, then specifying a voltage-independent conductivity is more or less meaningless. What may be useful, in some cases, is to specify the conductivity in the low voltage limit. In general though, you report the entire I-V curve over the entire range of relevant voltages. If the semiconductor is essentially Ohmic in the region of interest, then you don't have to worry about these thing. But in any case, the approach is indeed to perform I-V measurements on suitably fabricated devices.

1. What is conductivity and why is it important in semiconductors?

Conductivity is a measure of how easily a material allows electric current to flow through it. In semiconductors, conductivity is important because it determines how well the material can be used for electronic devices such as transistors and diodes.

2. How is the conductivity of a semiconductor measured?

The conductivity of a semiconductor can be measured using a four-point probe technique, where four probes are placed on the surface of the material and a voltage is applied. The resulting current is then measured to determine the conductivity.

3. What factors affect the conductivity of a semiconductor?

The conductivity of a semiconductor can be affected by factors such as temperature, impurities, and the concentration of free charge carriers (electrons and holes) in the material.

4. How does the band gap of a semiconductor relate to its conductivity?

The band gap of a semiconductor is the energy difference between the highest occupied energy level (valence band) and the lowest unoccupied energy level (conduction band). A larger band gap means that the material is less conductive, as there are fewer free charge carriers available to carry current.

5. Can the conductivity of a semiconductor be changed?

Yes, the conductivity of a semiconductor can be changed by altering the material's properties, such as temperature, impurity levels, and the application of external electric fields. This allows for the control and manipulation of electronic devices made from semiconductors.