Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring conductivity of a semiconductor

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    I'm wondering how one would go about measuring the conductivity of a semiconductor with variation in temperature, I assume the non ohmic behaviour prevents one from making simple voltage current measurements and then inferring resistance and the conductivity....any answers much appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you know you have non-ohmic behavior, then specifying a voltage-independent conductivity is more or less meaningless. What may be useful, in some cases, is to specify the conductivity in the low voltage limit. In general though, you report the entire I-V curve over the entire range of relevant voltages. If the semiconductor is essentially Ohmic in the region of interest, then you don't have to worry about these thing. But in any case, the approach is indeed to perform I-V measurements on suitably fabricated devices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook