Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring contact angle of immiscible liquids

  1. Jul 4, 2016 #1
    I am looking for sources which describe how to measure the contact angle between immiscible liquids in a tube. The literature seems to be extremely lacking so if anyone has any knowledge I would appreciate the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    A profile projector (aka optical comparator) perhaps?
  4. Jul 5, 2016 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    You might use an optical or an ultrasonic sensor. As you advance the sensor along the axis of the tube there will be a point where the conical surface of the contact annulus reflects directly back to the sensor. Block the direct axial reflection. Measure the sensor position with a micrometer or an LVDT.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted