Measuring Fluid level using a thermistor.

In summary, the conversation is about a report on thermistors and their use in measuring fluid levels. The individual has completed a report on strain gauges and is now working on the thermistor report. They have done some research and are wondering if their information is correct. They have been asked by their lecturer to produce a report on using a thermistor to measure fluid level. The thermistor heats up when driven by a voltage source, but its temperature and resistance remain constant when submerged in a liquid. When the liquid level drops, the thermistor becomes exposed and its resistance increases. The group discusses how this could be used to signal a logic 1 or 0. They also mention the importance of limiting the maximum current to avoid thermal runaway
Robbie-Eng
Hey

I've been writting reports on strain gauge and thermistor.

Ive completed my strain gauge report and now i am working on my thermistor report...ive been doing some research on them and i was wondering if this is the correct information i have gathered.

so

I have been asked from my lectuar to produce a report on a thermistor, but using the thermistor to measure fluid level.

here is what i have gathered so far:

When a thermistor is driven by a voltage source, it heats up. If submerged in a liquid, its temperature, and therefore its resistance, will remain relatively constant—as long as the liquid temperature remains relatively constant. If the liquid level drops, however, the thermistor becomes exposed, the heat dissipating effect of the liquid vanishes, the temperature rises, and—for a positive-TC element—the resistance increases.

so if to measure the level of the fluid, if the thermistor is positioned at that level and when submerged in the liquid its resistance remains low giving out a logic 0, but if exposed then its resistance rises causing the thermistor to heat up rapidly, and from this it signals a logic 1.

Is this correct in anwway?

Thanks

Robbie

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds reasonable
Whether a high/low resistance gives a 1/0 depends on the supporting circuitry of course.

Yep, sounds good. Just be careful that you limit the maximum current or it could go into thermal run away. We did this a few times in the lab for grins :)

PS I think US sensors still makes NTC thermistors in metal sleeves that screw into a tank.

- Mike

1. How does a thermistor measure fluid level?

A thermistor measures fluid level by using changes in temperature to determine the level of the fluid. As the fluid level rises, the temperature around the thermistor will decrease, and vice versa. This change in temperature is detected by the thermistor and converted into an electrical signal, which can then be used to determine the fluid level.

2. What type of fluids can be measured using a thermistor?

A thermistor can be used to measure the level of any fluid that has a significant change in temperature as its level changes. This includes both liquids and gases, such as water, oil, and air.

3. How accurate is a thermistor in measuring fluid level?

The accuracy of a thermistor in measuring fluid level depends on several factors, including the quality of the thermistor and the calibration of the measuring system. Generally, thermistors are considered to be highly accurate, with a typical error range of 0.1% to 1%.

4. Can a thermistor be used to measure fluid level in high-temperature environments?

Yes, thermistors can be designed to withstand high temperatures and can be used to measure fluid level in environments with temperatures up to 300°C. However, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by the extreme temperatures, so careful calibration is necessary.

5. How is a thermistor calibrated for measuring fluid level?

A thermistor is typically calibrated by comparing its output signal to a known reference, such as a water level gauge. The thermistor's output can then be adjusted to match the reference, ensuring accurate measurements. In some cases, a thermistor may also be calibrated using a mathematical model that takes into account its unique characteristics.