Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical design -- What is the part shown in the drawing?

1. Jun 4, 2017 #1
    • New poster has been reminded to post schoolwork-type questions in the HH fourms and to use the Template
    Hello guys. In the picture below can u help me with the problems! I cannot understand what exactly should I comment about the strengths. I t would be easier if it was asking about the types of welding :) . Please give some help! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2017 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

They are convex, concave and mitre (or straight) welds on a lap joint.
    The most important difference is the effective throat.

This should give you some search terms for your textbooks/lecture notes/Google.

4. Jun 4, 2017 #3
    Less sharp edges, less stress load. I would say 3rd one is more strong at first glance.

5. Jun 5, 2017 #4

JBA

You need to do a bit more investigation as to why the above prior post statement is important.

6. Jun 5, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation...

7. Jun 5, 2017 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread will remain locked. Please report misplaced schoolwork questions posted in the technical forums so that we can help the student learn to use the Homework Help forums and post their work. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook