Mechanical Engineering degree/transfer student Q's, advice highly recommended.

In summary, the person is asking if it is possible to finish a mechanical engineering degree without taking math 251. It is possible, but it will take longer than normal.
Justinmcg67
Hello all, if you took the time to read this thread then I want to say thank you very much and I sincerely appreciate it.

My dilemma is this: I am currently using my Post 9/11 GI Bill and attending community college to earn credits towards my new found major of mechanical engineering. I have been in college now for two terms, so I am new but I have a very high aptitude for work and learning so I excel with high work loads and rigorous study, in essence, I love to learn and I take it very seriously. This is probably due to my past military life that instilled structure and discipline in my life, much to my benefit. So my problem is that I have begun my college career of which I enjoy and love very much thus far, however, the mechanical engineering degrees in my state, Oregon, all require you to start off your freshman year entering calculus, MTH251, and all courses of study that you must take such as ENGR101 require a prerequisite of this math.

So my question to you all is simple, if I am not taking math 251 right now, how far back does this reasonably set me? Has anyone had this happen to them? I take well above the recommended 12 credit hours and I also attended school this summer, and I plan going to school every summer, so with this in mind, and if anyone has experience ith this example, can I get myself back on track? I feel I am behind the power-curve right now and my GI Bill is only good for 36 months, 5 of which I have used so far.

So with my high work load and ability to go all year round does it seem realistic to complete the degree for mechanical engineering on time? I would appreciate any and all advice. Also I would like to note that my strengths in school are mathematics and sciences, my current GPA is. 4.0 and my highest level of math completed is 65 so I wil enter the fall term at math 95.

Again, any and all advice is very much appreciated as helping me with this issue from someone who has past experience relating to this is very helpful to me.

Edit: I have considered CLEP but I feel that the knowledge being missed out n from being in class would only do me harm down the road. If anyone can elaborate on their experience with CLEP I would also appreciate that. Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, from a quick google search I think Math 65: Developmental elementary algebra, and Math 95: Developmental Intermediate Algebra, but I'm not sure if your school allows you to take Calculus 1 after that.

I do not know if you can finish a ME degree before your GI bill runs out, but it does not seem likely. As for how far it sets you back, that depends on how many other math classes are required between Int Algebra and Calc 1. My school required me to take Int Algebra, Pre-Calc, and Trig, before Calc 1, then most Mech Eng programs also require Calc 2 and 3, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations (and these are just the math classes). Whether or not some of these classes can be skipped and/or taken concurrently may be different at different schools, and may affect how quickly you can finish your degree.

Don't get discouraged just because it may take a little longer than normal. I have made it through Calc 2 and have Linear Algebra this fall, you can do it too.

The math is all in sequence, so I will go from 95 to 111 than 112 and finally 251. The problem is the time is takes to get to 251 because without you can not even start taking the engineering courses that apply to the major. That's the issue. I'm not sure if it will set me back completely, I figured my GI Bill would run up, which is a huge issue because I have a family, wife and kids. So it makes for an interesting problem.

Hopefully most someone out there has completed a ME degree and not started at the Math 251 level, because it appears that unless you started college at one of the pinnacles of math, than you're way behind the power curve.

Fortunely my school has engineering seminars twice a week that pertain to some of this, which I will be attending on Thursday. However in case they cannot lend me the advice I seek, the community of engineers themselves seems like the next best place to ask.

Again, thank you for replying, I do appreciate it.

So, i assume math 111 is College Algebra/ Pre-Calc, and 112 is Trig.

There are usually several General-Education classes that have to be taken as well as ME specific classes, you can always take those while you complete the math sequence. I do not know your specific course requirements (or even the correct course names), but taking Gen-eds during my math sequence is what I am doing.

I understand the importance of a strong foundation in math and science for a degree in mechanical engineering. It's great to hear that you have a strong aptitude for learning and a disciplined approach to your studies. My advice would be to speak with an academic advisor at your community college or the university you plan on transferring to. They will be able to give you a better understanding of how far behind you may be and what steps you can take to get back on track.

In terms of completing your degree on time, it may be challenging but it is definitely possible. With your high work load and ability to attend school year-round, you have a good chance of staying on track. However, it's important to also consider the difficulty of the courses and the amount of time you will need to devote to each one. It may be helpful to prioritize your courses and possibly take some during the summer to lighten your load during the regular school year.

In regards to CLEP, while it may seem like a quick way to catch up on math credits, it's important to consider the potential gaps in knowledge that may occur from not taking the courses in a traditional classroom setting. I would recommend consulting with your academic advisor before making a decision on whether or not to pursue CLEP exams. They may also be able to provide more insight on the success rate of students who have taken CLEP exams for math courses.

Overall, my advice would be to stay focused and determined in your studies, and seek guidance from academic advisors to ensure you are on the right track. With your strong academic record and work ethic, I have no doubt that you will be able to complete your degree in mechanical engineering. Best of luck to you!

1. What is a Mechanical Engineering degree?

A Mechanical Engineering degree is a type of undergraduate degree that focuses on the principles and applications of mechanical systems, including designing, analyzing, and manufacturing machines and other mechanical devices. It typically involves coursework in subjects such as mathematics, physics, and computer-aided design.

2. Can I transfer to a different university with a Mechanical Engineering degree?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to a different university with a Mechanical Engineering degree. However, it is important to check with the specific university you are interested in transferring to for their specific requirements and transfer policies.

3. What are some potential career options with a Mechanical Engineering degree?

Some potential career options with a Mechanical Engineering degree include working as a mechanical engineer, design engineer, or product development engineer. Other options may include working in industries such as aerospace, automotive, or manufacturing.

4. What advice do you have for someone considering a Mechanical Engineering degree?

If you are considering a Mechanical Engineering degree, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and problem-solving skills. It is also helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs to apply your knowledge in a practical setting. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help and seek out resources such as tutoring or study groups.

5. How can I stand out as a transfer student with a Mechanical Engineering degree?

To stand out as a transfer student with a Mechanical Engineering degree, it is important to have a strong academic record and to showcase any relevant experience or skills. Consider joining engineering clubs or participating in design projects to demonstrate your passion and dedication for the field. Networking with professionals and attending career fairs can also help you stand out and make valuable connections.