Mechanical engineering, mathematics, master of science?

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineering student who is considering their future career options. They are unsure if they are suited to work as an engineer and are considering pursuing an academic career in applied mathematics. However, they feel their university education has not provided them with a strong enough background in mathematics and are considering doing a second degree or a master's in mathematics to strengthen their skills. They are confused and seeking advice from others. Other speakers in the conversation mention that mechanical engineering is a math-intensive field and question why the speaker feels they have a weak math background. They suggest the speaker work through higher-level math textbooks and consider their long-term goals before making a decision. The speaker is also double-majoring in physics and mathematics and is from an
hanson
I will be having my final year study in mechanical engineering.
Now, I am considering what to do...
I believe that both my characters and ability are not quite suitable to work outside as an engineer.
I think I am a somewhat theoretically inclined person, so I have identified pursuing an academic career as my aspiration before.
What I would like to do is more like applied mathematics...
But I will say my university education does not provide me with a solid background in mathematics. And I am definitely not those clever math genuis that have special insights into math...
So, I am wondering what I shall do...
I will say I have a rather weak math background now...
I am therefore conidering whether to do a second degree in math or phy...but that means I am going to spend 3 more years as an undergraduate student and a large sum of money...
I am also considering to do a master of science in applied mathematic in my country. But provided my weak mathematics background, I am not sure if it is a good idea to do so...
I am quite confused and hope to listen to others' words.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not the only person who started out with a plan of what you wanted to do, and then discovered you made a mistake. It's much better to realize that and do something about it, rather than just drift into something that you don't want to do, or that you are not good at doing.

You need to think big about this. Ask yourself what you really want to do for the next 50 years of your life, not the next 3 or 4 years. Then make a plan to achieve what you want. The only person who can answer that big question is you.

hanson,

If your a ME, how do you have a weak math background? To be an ME I thought it was very math intensive, they would have to as much math as an aerospace engineering and just as much physics.

I remember in a mechanical engineering thread a while back, the consensus was that there is a lot of mathematics involved in that specific degree. I thought it extended atleast into vector calculus, which gives you a pretty strong background to work with.

Yah my friend is a ME, they take just as much math as any ENgineering major, up to Differential Equations

Um...well...I do feel that the math I learn is not concrete enough.
Perhaps it is to deal with the curriculum here in my country. I do learn vector calculas for sure and complex vairables etc...
But, I just feel that I do not really grasp the stuff well though I score all A+ in these courses...

Well, I am not sure what to tell you if you get all A+ in the courses and have an engineering background in mathematics. It seems like you would have no problems getting your Applied Mathematics degree and it seems like a majority of your engineering degree would count towards your mathematics degree. If you feel that your not as strong as you would like, grab a few textbooks in whichever area and work through them. You seem like you understand mathematics well enough to work through some higher level undergraduate stuff in your own without much trouble.

What areas are you 'weak' in or 'feel weak' in?

I am doing a double-major in physics and mathematics and most of my courses count towards both, which should apply to you as well. Are you interested in physics as well, or just mathematics?

Perhaps there is an issue I am not grasping? What country are you in/from?

Last edited:

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the design, analysis, and production of mechanical systems. This includes machines, structures, and devices that are used in various industries such as transportation, manufacturing, and healthcare.

2. How does mathematics relate to mechanical engineering?

Mathematics is a fundamental tool in mechanical engineering. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of mechanical systems, as well as to design and optimize them. Concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra are commonly used in mechanical engineering.

3. What is a master of science in mechanical engineering?

A master of science in mechanical engineering is a graduate degree that focuses on advanced topics in mechanical engineering. It typically involves coursework in areas such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science, as well as a research project or thesis.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a master of science in mechanical engineering?

Graduates with a master of science in mechanical engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, and robotics. They can work as design engineers, project managers, research and development engineers, and more.

5. How long does it take to complete a master of science in mechanical engineering?

The duration of a master of science in mechanical engineering program varies, but it typically takes 1-2 years to complete. This may depend on the specific program, as well as whether the student is studying full-time or part-time.