Mechanical engineering or engineering science and mechanics

In summary, the individual is an undergraduate student at Virginia Tech who had to take time off for medical issues but is planning to return in the fall. They were originally studying Aerospace Engineering but have become interested in medical technologies. They are unsure which department within the college of engineering to transfer into, but are considering Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Science and Mechanics. They are looking for input on which department would be better suited for their interests in biomechanics and applied fluid mechanics.
aeroeng212
Hi!

I am an undergraduate student going to Virginia Tech at the moment and have run into a bit of a problem.
I've had to take some time off of school for the last year to deal with some medical problems- but I hope to be back in the fall! Before I left to deal with medical issues I was studying Aerospace Engineering- but after an internship at an aerospace company and lots of medical treatment over the past year, I've become fascinated with medical technologies! I've always had a great interest in fluid mechanics and biomechanics and would love to find a way to apply them to problems in medicine!
Which brings me to my current dilemma- I'm not quite sure which department within the college of engineering at Virginia Tech to transfer into. I've narrowed it down to either Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Science and Mechanics.
I'm quite interested in the 'fundamentals first' philosophy of the Engineering Science and Mechanics dept. but am quite concerned that a bachelor's degree in this will not be respected quite as much as one in mechanical engineering... (any thoughts?)
I am also wondering if mechanical engineering would provide a good base for biomechanics and applied fluid mechanics work?

I've been following all of you on this forum for several years and you've given me some fantastic guidance in the past- I really appreciate any help or thoughts on this!

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical Engineering would provide an excellent background to the study of biomechanics and prosthetics. MEs deal with thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, mechanics of materials, and mechatronics; all extremely applicable to your area of interest. In fact, at my old school, most biomechanics and prosthetics research was carried out in the ME department. They shared research jointly with the bioengineering dept.

In short, you'll find no department that concentrates more on fluid mechanics than the ME department. One might make the argument for aerospace, but they focus more on gas dynamics. You'll also receive a heavy dose of thermodynamics and heat transfer; two subjects critical to the analysis of energy within cells and the body.

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and engineering science and mechanics?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, while engineering science and mechanics combines principles from engineering, physics, and mathematics to study the behavior of various systems.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in mechanical engineering or engineering science and mechanics?

Both degrees can lead to a variety of career paths, including working in the automotive, aerospace, or manufacturing industries, as well as research and development positions in academia or private companies.

3. What are some common courses in a mechanical engineering or engineering science and mechanics degree program?

Some common courses in both programs include mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and fluid mechanics. However, engineering science and mechanics may also include additional courses in applied mathematics and physics.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in mechanical engineering or engineering science and mechanics?

While a bachelor's degree is typically required for entry-level positions, a graduate degree can open up opportunities for higher-level positions and specialized roles in research and development.

5. How can I prepare for a degree in mechanical engineering or engineering science and mechanics?

To succeed in this field, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics. It can also be beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or projects, and to develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication.