How to know if I’m more inclined towards Mechanical or Electrical Engineering?

In summary: Air Force taught me how to make a lot of things, so I started my own business. I made electronic products, and later added the manufacture and sale of home theater and audio systems to the business. The moral of this story is: 1) Don't be afraid to change your major or career path if you are not happy with what you are doing. 2) Do your research and think about what you want to do. 3) Be willing to take some risks. 4) Don't be afraid to ask for help. In summary, if you are not happy with electrical engineering, try a class of mechanical engineering. If you are not
Dmenam21
How to know if I’m more inclined towards mechanical or electrical engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a class of each and see which you like more.

Likes Joshy, DeBangis21, russ_watters and 2 others
Dale said:
Try a class of each and see which you like more.
I’ve tried both. I like more the physics concepts of electrical engineering I think electricity is fascinating. Although I do not like that much electrical engineering jobs because I like to think spatially and i don’t think electricity should be treated so linearly as it is done today.

Dmenam21 said:
I’ve tried both. I like more the physics concepts of electrical engineering I think electricity is fascinating. Although I do not like that much electrical engineering jobs because I like to think spatially and i don’t think electricity should be treated so linearly as it is done today.
From looking at your Profile page and your other thread, I'm guessing that you are in your first year of undergrad? Is that correct? Or maybe second year, since the school year has just started this month at most universities?

If you are at university, does it require you to declare you major before your junior (3rd) year? My university had a pretty similar curriculum for all Engineering majors up until the Junior year, and you didn't have to declare your major until then. That was many years ago in California, so I don't know if that is still available, especially where you are now.

If you are not yet at university, can you say what classes you have had overall in math and science, and what classes you have taken in Engineering?

And finally, here are a few suggestions to try to help you work your way toward figuring what you would like to do in your upcoming career work...
  • What electronics projects have you built so far on your own? Have you looked into what basic electronics kits are available (they are pretty inexpensive)? Most kits come with documentation that helps to explain how the electronics works, and they can be a very rewarding and educational way to build and learn about electronics, IMO.
  • What physical/ME projects have you built so far? Have you built any woodworking projects? Cabinets, shelves, structures, vehicles, etc.? Same comments as for the basic electronics kits...
  • What CAD drawing programs have you experimented with so far and worked on learning? Learning 2-D and 3-D CAD drawing is a very important part of your fundamental ME learning, so it is very worthwhile to start that on your own before it is required in your classes, IMO.
  • And using those 3-D CAD skills, what basic 3-D printing shapes have you printed so far? That is one of the most fun parts of starting to learn 3-D CAD and Printing -- making real things from your conceptual drawings.
  • And back to electronics, have you tried searching on free SPICE circuit simulators? We have had a few such threads here at the PF, and a simple Google search will guide you to some downloads. As you learn about basic circuits, be sure to enter them into your free personal SPICE simulator and run DC Setpoint or Transient simulations on them. You will learn a lot by doing that. I had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow instead, back when I was in undergrad...
Enjoy the ride, and best of luck no matter which path your choose. :smile:

Likes DeBangis21, CalcNerd and PhanthomJay
Dmenam21 said:
I’ve tried both.
If you have tried both then you should already be able to answer the question. Which do you like more?

If you have a hard time deciding then flip a coin: heads ME, tails EE. If you feel relieved then keep that decision, if you feel disappointed then veto the coin and pick the other.

Likes russ_watters, Joshy, gmax137 and 1 other person
OP: If you won the lotto, and could splurge on one playroom, would you outfit it as a machine shop or as an electronics shop?

Likes DeBangis21, russ_watters, CalcNerd and 3 others
CrysPhys said:
OP: If you won the lotto, and could splurge on one playroom, would you outfit it as a machine shop or as an electronics shop?
That is a great question. When the principals are talking to you, they may ask something equivalent to "What do you really want to do"? or "What would be the ideal job if you could have it?"

Likes CalcNerd
Or you could do what I did. I started in electrical engineering, then at the start of my third year, figured out that I was in the wrong field. I was not sure what the right field was, was tired of college, tired of the poverty life style, wanted some time to think about it, and wanted to see some of the country outside my home state. So I dropped out of college and joined the military (U.S. Air Force).

Four years later, I had a savings account plus the G.I. Bill (a college scholarship program), had figured out what I wanted to do, and had traveled across country by hitchhike, motorcycle, and small airplane. I went back, this time in mechanical engineering. The first semester back was challenging, and I had to take a couple extra classes, but still managed to graduate in a total of 8 semesters (four years).

Likes jbergman, DeBangis21, Hsopitalist and 1 other person
Dmenam21 said:
Although I do not like that much electrical engineering jobs because I like to think spatially and i don’t think electricity should be treated so linearly as it is done today.
I'm not sure what you mean by electricity being treated linearly... Is this based on the one class you took?

Dmenam21 said:
Although I do not like that much electrical engineering jobs because I like to think spatially and i don’t think electricity should be treated so linearly as it is done today.
Mark44 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by electricity being treated linearly... Is this based on the one class you took?
Yeah, don't worry. You'll have plenty of opportunity to stretch your mind with EE concepts (like analysis of transfer functions and poles/zeroes in complex space...)

1567266242347.png

Mark44 said:
I mean designing something in 3 dimensions with electricity, like a levitating car or controlling plasma with a magnetic field.

Dmenam21 said:
I mean designing something in 3 dimensions with electricity, like a levitating car...<snip>
I still have no idea what you mean.

Mark44 said:
I still have no idea what you mean.
I think I explain it better in this new post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electrical-or-mechanical-engineering.976780/

I mean doing mechanics with electricity and magnetism, moving things with electricity, redesigning motors, things like that

Designing electric motors is both mechanical and electrical engineering. The electrical engineers calculate ampere-turns, coil designs, end turn designs, plus any electronic controls. The mechanical engineers work on cooling, shaft stiffness, tolerance stackups, bearings, seals, and clearances. They work together in a team. The mechanical engineers need to understand enough EE to communicate with the EE's, and the EE's need to understand enough ME to communicate with the ME's.

If this is your interest, think carefully about which of the above is more interesting, major in that field and take as many courses in the other field as you can.

And there are related things like the iTrak: https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...ystems&docid=d3a3ff0f88ff7932e26c34ab9b53ca90. This was developed by a small company, Jacobs Automation, which was bought out by Rockwell. It's a really neat system, with some good creative thinking in the entire system. The original patent is US Patent 6,876,107 if you are curious.

Likes DeBangis21
smith4756 said:
Choosing between mechanical and electrical engineering can be tough. Here's what you can do to figure out your inclination:

• Try tinkering with mechanical and electrical stuff as a hobby.
  • Reflect on what aspects of each field excite you the most.
  • Talk to professionals in both fields and ask about their work.
  • Take introductory courses in both disciplines to get a feel for them.
  • Trust your gut feeling and go with what interests you the most.
Good advice, but probably too late for the OP, who with any luck has graduated by now!

• Haha
Likes DeBangis21, berkeman and symbolipoint
The last post of @Dmenam21 has been back in 2019. I presume the OP has either graduated from whatever program they ultimately chose to study, or dropped out.

Whatever is the case, I suggest that this thread be closed.

Likes Bystander
StatGuy2000 said:
Whatever is the case, I suggest that this thread be closed.
Probably a good idea. The user that @PeroK quoted back in June turned out to be a spammer, so if you try to follow the quote to their Profile, it's not there anymore. When a thread becomes a magnet for spam, it's probably a good idea to close it. There is plenty of good information in the thread to help anybody else with the same question who finds the thread in the future. :smile:

Likes DeBangis21

1. What is the difference between mechanical and electrical engineering?

The main difference between mechanical and electrical engineering is the focus of each field. Mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machinery, engines, and structures. On the other hand, electrical engineering focuses on the study, design, and application of electrical systems, such as power generation, transmission, and distribution, as well as electronic devices and circuits.

2. How do I determine which field of engineering is better for me?

The best way to determine which field of engineering is better for you is to assess your interests, skills, and strengths. If you enjoy working with physical systems, solving problems, and have a strong understanding of mechanics, then mechanical engineering may be a good fit for you. If you are more interested in working with electrical and electronic systems, have a strong mathematical and analytical background, and enjoy problem-solving, then electrical engineering may be a better choice.

3. Can I switch between mechanical and electrical engineering during my studies?

Many universities offer combined programs that allow students to study both mechanical and electrical engineering. However, switching between the two fields during your studies may require additional coursework and may extend your time in school. It is important to speak with your academic advisor to determine the best path for you.

4. What are the job opportunities for mechanical and electrical engineers?

Both mechanical and electrical engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries. Mechanical engineers can work in fields such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. Electrical engineers can find jobs in industries such as telecommunications, electronics, power generation, and computer hardware. The demand for both types of engineers is expected to continue to grow in the future.

5. Do mechanical and electrical engineers work together on projects?

Yes, mechanical and electrical engineers often work together on projects that involve both mechanical and electrical components. For example, a team of engineers may work together to design a new car, with mechanical engineers focusing on the design of the engine and chassis, and electrical engineers working on the design of the car's electronics and electrical systems.