Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree

In summary, the program offered at Lakehead University in Canada is unique in its structure, with the first two years leading to a Mechanical Technology diploma and the last two years towards a B.ENG in Mechanical Engineering. The speaker is curious about others' opinions on the program, both as a standalone Technology Diploma and as a B.Eng. They also express concern about the B.Eng being weaker due to the combination with the Technology diploma, particularly in certain subject areas such as chemistry and electricity/circuits. However, the program does become more intense in years 3 and 4, potentially making up for any perceived weaknesses.
greenneub
This is one of the only programs offered in Canada that's structured this way. The first two years are towards a Mechanical Technology diploma, the last two are for a B.ENG in Mech. Engineering. I'm curious what you guys think of this program in terms of A) a standalone Technology Diploma and B) as a B.Eng.

http://engineering.lakeheadu.ca/wp/?pg=56"

Do you guys think that combining the two career options into one degree makes one of the career options weaker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If someone could take a quick look at this program, I'd appreciate it. I found out today that one of my other options is no longer available, so the above program is now a stronger possibility. My main concern with the Lakehead program is that the B. Eng is a weaker engineering program because of the blending with the Technology diploma - I don't mean to offend anyone, but it is a somewhat untraditional approach. Eg, most programs seem to have a full year of intro chemistry. I think most programs also have two semesters on electricity/circuits - one from the second half of intro physics, and one from an intro to electrical engineering/circuits course. This program seems to have the latter, but not the former.

Then again, I suppose the program does get pretty heavy in years 3 and 4. 6 courses in the first semester of year 3 and then 7 for the rest of the program. Good God that's a lot of school.

You know you could've editted your original post so all 3 comments would allign into 1 post.

I believe that this program offers a unique and valuable opportunity for students to gain both practical and theoretical knowledge in the field of mechanical engineering. The combination of a technology diploma and a bachelor's degree provides a well-rounded education and prepares students for a variety of career paths.

In terms of the standalone technology diploma, it provides a strong foundation in practical skills and hands-on experience that is highly valued in the industry. This diploma can lead to immediate employment opportunities in the field of mechanical technology, but it may also serve as a stepping stone for students who wish to pursue further education in engineering.

As for the B.Eng. degree, it offers a more comprehensive understanding of theoretical concepts and engineering principles, which is essential for those interested in pursuing a career in research or design. The combination of the technology diploma and the B.Eng. degree provides a unique advantage for students as they have both practical skills and theoretical knowledge, making them well-equipped for various roles in the industry.

I do not believe that combining the two career options into one degree makes one weaker. Instead, it offers a well-rounded education that prepares students for a diverse range of career opportunities. It also allows for a smoother transition between the technology diploma and the B.Eng. degree, as students have already gained practical experience and knowledge in the field.

Overall, I think this program is a great opportunity for students to gain a comprehensive education in mechanical engineering and enhance their career prospects. I would encourage students to carefully consider this program and its unique structure as they explore their options for higher education in this field.

1. What is a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree?

A Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on the principles of mechanical engineering. It combines theoretical knowledge with practical skills to prepare students for careers in designing, manufacturing, and maintaining mechanical systems and devices.

2. What courses are typically included in a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree program?

Some common courses in a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree program include mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, fluid mechanics, and design and analysis of mechanical systems. Students may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas such as robotics, automotive engineering, or renewable energy systems.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree?

Graduates with a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree can pursue a variety of careers in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. Some common job titles include mechanical engineer, design engineer, project engineer, and production manager. Graduates may also choose to pursue further education in graduate programs or specialized certifications.

4. What skills are important for success in a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree program?

Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a good understanding of math and physics are essential for success in a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree program. Additionally, students should have strong communication, teamwork, and time management skills to work effectively in a professional engineering environment.

5. What is the difference between a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree and a Mechanical Engineering Degree?

While both degrees focus on the principles of mechanical engineering, a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree typically has a more hands-on and practical approach, while a Mechanical Engineering Degree may have a stronger emphasis on theory and research. Additionally, a Mechanical Technology/Mech Engineering Degree may lead to careers in more technical and hands-on roles, while a Mechanical Engineering Degree may open up opportunities for managerial and leadership positions.