1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics: Accleration as a function of position

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    A particle is moving along a straight line with accelerated motion such that a=-ks, where s is the distance from the starting point and kis the proportionality constant to be determined. For s=2 ft the velocity is 4 ft/s, and for s=3.5 ft, the velocity is 10 ft/s. What is s when the velocity is zero?

Here is a description of my approach, but I keep running into dead ends. I'd like to verify that the approach is correct before I go further.

My Approach: Establish the relationship between velocity and acceleration as a differential equation. v dv=a*ds. I know that I'm going to need to define my constant of integration as well as my k value to get anywhere. So, I want to integrate using boundaries, with the v dv integration having boundaries of 4 and V, whereas the ds boundaries will be 2 and s.

After Isolating for V, the function is:

v = sqrt(-ks^2-12). My guess in regards to determining K was to plug in the other given S and V values into this equation to find K. However, this does not work, as my K value does not come out to be correct.

Any clues?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Integrate the differential eqn vdv/ds = -ks directly, and you'll get a const of integration, say C. Using the two given conditions, you can find k and C. After that, put v=0 to find the reqd s.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?