String with masses on either end being pulled from the center

In summary, two equal 1 kg masses are connected by a light 1.6 m string on a flat frictionless surface. A 2 N force is applied to the midpoint of the string causing the system to accelerate in the positive x-direction. After 1.5 seconds, the rope makes an angle of 55° with the x-axis. The change in the location of the center of mass at time t = 1.5 s is 1.125m. The kinetic energy associated with the center of mass motion is 2.25 J. The work done by the force from time t = 0 to t = 1.5 is 3.56 J.
CSPhysics

Homework Statement

Two equal 1 kg masses are connected by a light 1.6 m string on a flat frictionless surface. A 2 N force is applied to the midpoint of the string which causes the system to accelerate in the positive x-direction.

After 1.5 seconds, the rope makes an angle of 55° with the x-axis.

Determine:
a) The change in the location of the center of mass at time t = 1.5 s
b) The kinetic energy associated with the center of mass motion
c) The work done by the force from time t = 0 to t = 1.5

Homework Equations

W = Fd
Δp = mΔv = Ft
K = 0.5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with part b and solved for the center of mass velocity.
Ft = mv
v(t) = Ft/m
v(1.5) = (2)(1.5)/2 = 1.5 m/s
K = 2.25 JThen for part a, I integrated my velocity function to get
x(t) = Ft2/2m
x(1.5) = 1.125

For part c, I calculated force displacement to get work
force displacement = 1.125 + 0.8sin(55) = 1.78 m
W = Fd
W = 2 * 1.78
W = 3.56 J

I have no idea if what I did is correct, and I haven't been able to find any similar questions online. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
CSPhysics said:
Ft = mv
v(t) = Ft/m
v(1.5) = (2)(1.5)/2 = 1.5 m/s
K = 2.25 J
Force, velocity and momentum are vectors, KE is not. Think about directions. What have you overlooked?

haruspex said:
Force, velocity and momentum are vectors, KE is not. Think about directions. What have you overlooked?
I'm thinking of it in terms of a force acting on the entire system and changing its momentum. The force is along the x-axis so the velocity should also be along that axis.

If I needed to calculate the total KE then I would need to consider the y-component of the masses' motion but if I understand it correctly, that should not effect the motion of the center of mass and the KE associated with that motion.

CSPhysics said:
I'm thinking of it in terms of a force acting on the entire system and changing its momentum. The force is along the x-axis so the velocity should also be along that axis.

If I needed to calculate the total KE then I would need to consider the y-component of the masses' motion but if I understand it correctly, that should not effect the motion of the center of mass and the KE associated with that motion.
Sorry, you are right. I did not think carefully about what the question was asking.

CSPhysics said:
0.8sin(55)
Cos maybe?

haruspex said:
Sorry, you are right. I did not think carefully about what the question was asking.Cos maybe?
No worries!

Yes, that should definitely be cos, Aside from that, does everything else I did see to make sense?

CSPhysics said:
No worries!

Yes, that should definitely be cos, Aside from that, does everything else I did see to make sense?
Yes.

1. What is the purpose of pulling a string with masses on either end from the center?

The purpose of pulling a string with masses on either end from the center is to study the behavior of the string under tension and observe the movement of the masses.

2. What factors affect the movement of the string and masses?

The movement of the string and masses is affected by several factors such as the tension applied to the string, the mass of the masses, and the length of the string.

3. How does the tension in the string change as the masses move?

As the masses move, the tension in the string also changes. The tension increases as the masses move away from the center and decreases as they move towards the center.

4. What is the relationship between the tension and the acceleration of the masses?

The acceleration of the masses is directly proportional to the tension in the string. As the tension increases, the acceleration also increases.

5. How does the position of the masses affect the period of the string's motion?

The period of the string's motion is affected by the position of the masses. The period is shorter when the masses are closer to the center and longer when they are farther away from the center.