Mechanics: Angular Velocity Vector Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula ##v = \omega r## for circular motion and how it relates to the problem at hand. The expert summarizer clarifies that the formula is not necessary and provides the simpler solution of taking the time derivative of the given position equation to find the velocity. The conversation also briefly touches on using a Galilean boost and an intrinsic coordinate system, but ultimately concludes that they are not needed for this problem.
girlwhoneedsmathhelp
Homework Statement
The question :

The position vector of a rider on a helter-skelter is given by : r = (2sin t)i + (2cos t)j + (8-1/2 t)k where the units are in metres and seconds. The unit vector k acts vertically upwards.

(I) Find an expression for the velocity of the rider at time t

(ii) Find the speed of the rider at time t

(iii) Find the magnitude and direction of the rider's acceleration when t = pi/4

From the first part I am very confused on how to figure this out. I know that this question has to relate with the formula for v =wr, but I am unsure how to approach it. Even after looking at the answers for I, I still do not know how to do ii and even less for iii.
Relevant Equations
v=wr
Answers are the following :
(i) v=(2cost)i - (2sint)j -(1/2)k
(ii)2.06m/s
(iii)2m/s^2 horizontally towards the vertical axis, making an angle of pi/4 with both the I and j axes.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need any rotational formulae. You have$$\vec{r} = 2\sin{(t)} \hat{i} + 2\cos{(t)} \hat{j} + (8-\frac{1}{2}t)\hat{k}$$The velocity is ##\vec{v} = \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}##, i.e. the time derivative of the above. Does that help you get started?

Likes girlwhoneedsmathhelp, gurbir_s_sidhu, Adesh and 1 other person
Okay, let us know why you think we have to use ##v= \omega r## formula, it's always better to talk. We from basic mechanics know two things:

1. Derivative of position is the velocity.
2. In a circular motion linear velocity, radius and angular velocity are related by ##v =\omega r##.

Let me know what are your thoughts on them and their relation to your original question.

Likes etotheipi
@Adesh It is a good comment but it is heading slightly off topic. I will answer it for the OP: ##\vec{v} = \vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}## pertains to a circular velocity field about a point, e.g. the velocity of a point on a rigid body w.r.t. another point on the rigid body, or the velocity of a particle undergoing circular motion. To digress, it's not totally irrelevant here because we are dealing with helical motion, so we could perform a Galilean boost to a frame where ##v_z = 0## and we would end up with circular motion with ##\omega = 1##.

But this question is almost certainly just an exercise in calculus. So let us please first hear back from the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
##\vec{v}=\vec{ω}\times \vec{r}## pertains to a circular velocity field about a point, i.e. the velocity of a point on a rigid body w.r.t. another point on the rigid body, or the velocity of a particle undergoing circular motion.
As the question is about a single body which is considered as a point body so we can just use the formula ##v=\omega r## for any instantaneous circular path.

etotheipi said:
To digress, it's not totally irrelevant here because we are dealing with helical motion, so we could perform a Galilean boost to a frame where ##v_z=0## and we would end up with circular motion with ω=1.
But how would you get ##\omega##? I know we will get a helix of radius ##2## (I mean projection of helix on the ##xy## plane will result in a circle of radius 2), but to get ##\omega## you have to have ##v## which you will get only by differentiating the the expression for position.

Adesh said:
As the question is about a single body which is considered as a point body so we can just use the formula ##v=\omega r## for any instantaneous circular path.

You can do something like this, but it is yet another added degree of complexity to what is really a very simple problem. What you are suggesting is to use an intrinsic coordinate system with basis ##\{ \vec{e}_n, \vec{e}_t, \vec{e}_b \}##, and you are using the fact that in intrinsic coordinates$$\vec{v} = v\vec{e}_t$$and$$\vec{a} = \dot{v} \vec{e}_t + \frac{v^2}{\rho} \vec{e}_n$$and it may well be convenient to define a parameter ##\omega##, given the cyclical nature of the helical motion, s.t. ##v =\rho \omega##, if ##\rho## is the instantaneous radius of curvature (which you also need to go and work out from the equation of the helix!). But I do not suggest this for the OP, it is a billion times harder than necessary.

Adesh said:
But how would you get ##\omega##? I know we will get a helix of radius ##2## (I mean projection of helix on the ##xy## plane will result in a circle of radius 2), but to get ##\omega## you have to have ##v## which you will get only by differentiating the the expression for position.

If you performed the Galilean boost, ##\omega = 1##. That will allow you to find the ##x## and ##y## components of the velocity in the original frame, if you so wished.

But again, added complexity to just ##\frac{d}{dt}##ing the original expression. I think it is best now that the OP replies to post #2.

etotheipi said:
You don't need any rotational formulae. You have$$\vec{r} = 2\sin{(t)} \hat{i} + 2\cos{(t)} \hat{j} + (8-\frac{1}{2}t)\hat{k}$$The velocity is ##\vec{v} = \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}##, i.e. the time derivative of the above. Does that help you get started?

Yes, thanks a lot!

Likes etotheipi

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement of an object with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rotational speed of an object, while linear velocity is a measure of the straight-line speed of an object. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents angular velocity, Δθ represents change in angular displacement, and Δt represents change in time.

4. How is angular velocity related to angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are related through the formula α = Δω/Δt, where α represents angular acceleration, Δω represents change in angular velocity, and Δt represents change in time. In other words, angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity.

5. How does angular velocity affect centripetal force?

Angular velocity is directly proportional to centripetal force, meaning that as angular velocity increases, so does the centripetal force required to keep an object moving in a circular path. This is because higher angular velocity means a larger change in direction, requiring a greater force to maintain the circular motion.