Mechanics: Coordinate systems and vector's

In summary, the velocity vector of the ant can be represented as \dot{r}\hat{r} + r\dot{\vartheta}\hat{\vartheta} in polar coordinates, and as Vx = ucos theta and Vy = usin theta in cartesian coordinates. The angular velocity of the turntable, rw, must also be taken into account.
Unto

Homework Statement

An ant walks from the inside to the outside of a rotating turntable. Write down it's velocity vector.

Use polar the cartesian coordinates.

Homework Equations

I have already derived the velocity vector in polar coordinates which is:

[tex]\hat{v}[/tex] = [tex]\dot{r}[/tex][tex]\hat{r}[/tex] + r[tex]\dot{\vartheta}[/tex][tex]\hat{\vartheta}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The table is rotating at a velocity [tex]\hat{v}[/tex] whilst the ant we assume just walks in a straight line along direction[tex]\hat{j}[/tex] in it's reference frame there is nothing odd, it is walking in a straight line. However in the observers reference frame is is moving in a circle due to the motion of the turntable.. So do I take it's cartesian velocity vector [tex]\dot{r}[/tex][tex]\hat{r}[/tex] and simply add it with the velocity of the turntable [tex]\dot{r}[/tex][tex]\hat{r}[/tex] + r[tex]\dot{\vartheta}[/tex][tex]\hat{\vartheta}[/tex] ??

I'm not quite sure how this works.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah I've done it in polar coordinates. I was half right about the addition, but I was unsure about the angular velcity of the turntable. Now doing it in cartesian.

Unsure about cartesian coordinates... I've considered the velocity of the ant in x and y directions Vx = ucos theta
Vy = usin theta

Then I considered a point on the turntable which has an angular velocity rw...

I don't know what to do now...

1. What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a framework used to determine the position of an object in space. It is made up of a set of axes (usually x, y, and z) and a reference point, or origin, from which measurements are taken.

2. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often used to describe physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement.

3. How do you convert between different coordinate systems?

To convert between coordinate systems, you can use a set of equations known as transformation equations. These equations allow you to express the same point in space using different coordinate systems.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity has only magnitude, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include distance and temperature, while examples of vector quantities include velocity and acceleration.

5. How is vector addition and subtraction performed?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first resolve them into their components along the x, y, and z axes. Then, you can add or subtract the components separately to get the resulting vector. This can also be visualized using the head-to-tail method.