1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics : Equations of motion.

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A motorcyclist starts from rest at a point O and travels in a straight line. His velocity after t seconds is vms^-2, for 0 =< t =< T, where v = 7.2t - 0.45t^2. The motorcyclist's accelaration is zero when t = T.

Find the value of T.

2. Relevant equations

---

3. The attempt at a solution

S = X
    U = 0
    V = 7.2t - 0.45t^2
    a = 0
    t = t

v = u + at
    7.2t^2 - 0.45t = 0
    0.45t(t - 16) = 0
    Therefore t = 0 or 16

But the answer is 8.. I believe I'm getting the accleration part incorrect but I just cannot spot it.
    Please help - thank you :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

The expression for v you used in step 3 doesn't match the problem statement. You swapped terms.

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    Ahh apologies - I mistyped it. The second line is supposed to have the ^2 on the 0.45t :(

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is only true for a constant acceleration- and a constant acceleration gives a linear velocity, not quadratic as you have here.

All you have done here is solve for V= 0, not acceleration.

The acceleration is the derivative of the velocity function. Take the derivative of [itex]7.2t^2- 0.45t[/itex] and set that equal to 0.

6. May 2, 2010 #5
    Thank you for the reply. I remember my teacher had mention not to attempt that question as he had not covered it in class yet. I read up about it and you're help has reinforced my understanding.

Thanks again. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook