1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Mechanics] Friction decelerating a helicopter rotor assembly

1. May 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Chinook helicopter’s rotor blades and hub have a top speed of 300 revs/min and a combined mass of 300 kg.
    On a maintenance test the blade assembly is allowed to stop without applying the brake, in this condition the blades take 48 seconds to come to a standstill. The effective radius off the rotor is 6.8 m.

I need to calculate the following:

a. The deceleration of the rotor blades, assuming a constant rate of deceleration.

b. The number of turns the rotor assembly will make.

c. The frictional resistance at this deceleration.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have completed the first two parts:

300 rev/min * (2pi)/60 = 31.416 rad/s

Acceleration = (ω2 - ω1)/(t2 - t1) = (0-31.416)/(48) = -0.6545 rad/s^(2)

ϴ = ω1 * t + 1/2 * a * t^(2) = (31.416*48)+(0.5x(-0.6545)*48^(2)) = 753.984 rads

753.984/(2pi) = 120 revolutions

For the final part, all I have came up with so far is that the friction will be acting downwards as a result of gravity, F = mg = 300*9.81 = 2943N

I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do though, as the question asks the friction 'at this deceleration', so I guess I need an equation that contains acceleration in it.

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: Do I need to use the equation:

Frictional torque = angular acceleration * Inertia?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yes, or something similar. The force downward due to gravity would not enter into the calculation, IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted