Calculating Torque for Helicopter Blade Rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the torque required to bring a helicopter blade from rest to full angular speed, using the moment of inertia and angular acceleration equations. The correct moment of inertia formula is determined to be 1/2 ML^2.
9giddjl

Homework Statement

Consider a simple helicopter blade, attached to a bolt at its end. The bolt is made to rotate by a powerful motor, and the blade therefore rotates. The blade has a length L= 7.8 m and mass M= 100 kg. The blade is shaped approximately like a long thin, uniform rod.
What torque must the bolt exert on the blade in order to bring it from rest to full angular speed 320 rev/min in time t= 6.70 s

Homework Equations

Before, I worked out the force that ther bolt exerts on the blade when the blade is spinning at full speed to be 4.4 x 10^5 N. thus, force= 4.4 x 10^5 N. I thought that i could just find the angular acceleration: wf=wi + at and then find the moment of inertia and use T=Ia but i don't know what the moment of inertia would be. Would it be 1/12mL^2 or 1/3mL^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angular acceleration to be 5/rad/s^2.. but i just don't know what the moment of inertia would be becoz i worked them out using the above equations and i keep getting the wrong answer. the right answer is 7.6 x 10^3 N.m. Is T=Ia the right forumla to be using or am i on the wrong track? Any help would be muchly appreciated! thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
9giddjl said:
… use T=Ia but i don't know what the moment of inertia would be. Would it be 1/12mL^2 or 1/3mL^2

Hi 9giddjl! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

It's 1/12 mL2 about the centre of a rod,

and using the parallel axis theorem it's 1/12 mL2 + 1/4 mL2 = 1/3 mL2 about the end :wink:

i used 1/2 ML^2 for the moment of inertia and it yielded the correct answer! thankyou for ur help wise teacher!:)

1. What is a helicopter bolt and why is it important?

A helicopter bolt is a specialized fastener used to connect different parts of a helicopter together. It is important because it ensures the structural integrity of the helicopter and the safety of its passengers.

2. How do you find the torque for a helicopter bolt?

To find the torque for a helicopter bolt, you need to first determine the bolt's size and material. Then, you can use a torque calculator or a torque chart to find the appropriate torque value based on the bolt's diameter and material.

3. Why is torque important for helicopter bolts?

Torque is important for helicopter bolts because it ensures that the bolt is tightened to the correct amount, preventing it from loosening over time. This helps maintain the structural integrity of the helicopter and avoids potential accidents or malfunctions.

4. What are the consequences of using the wrong torque for a helicopter bolt?

Using the wrong torque for a helicopter bolt can have serious consequences. If the torque is too low, the bolt can become loose and potentially lead to structural failure. If the torque is too high, the bolt can become damaged or break, also resulting in potential structural failure.

5. Are there any specialized tools or equipment needed to find torque for helicopter bolts?

Yes, there are specialized torque wrenches and torque calculators that are specifically designed for finding the appropriate torque for helicopter bolts. It is important to use these tools to ensure accuracy and safety.