Mechanics Problem with I/J vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses two particles P and Q moving in an x-y plane and various questions related to their positions and velocities. In Part A, it is proven that the particles will never collide. Part B shows that the velocity of Q is constant and calculates its magnitude and direction. Finally, in Part C, the value of t is found when P and Q have parallel velocities and the distance between them at this point is also determined.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Two particles P and Q move in an x-y plane. At time t seconds the position vector of P is [itex](t^2\hat{i}+4t\hat{j})m[/itex] and Q is [itex](2t\hat{i}+(t+1)\hat{j})m[/itex].

A: Prove the particle never collide
B: Show that the velocity of Q is constant, and calcualte the magnitude and direction
C: Find the value for t when P and Q have parallel velocities and find the distance between them at this point.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Its part C that is confusing me but incase I messed the others up I will post them as well.

Part A:
For the particles to collide their position vectors will equal each other at the same time so setting their I an J components to equal each other should produce any times they are equal. First their I components.
[tex]
2t=t^2 \\
0=t^2 - 2t \\
0=t(t-2)
[/tex]
Therefore when t=0 and t=2 the I components are the same. And now the J components.
[tex]
t+1=4t \\
1=3t \\
t=\frac{1}{3}
[/tex]
Therefore their J components are only equal when t=1/3, therefore they never collide as the I and J's are never the same at the same time.

Part B:
The velocity of Q will be constant if neither of the components are functions of time so differentiation will find me the velocity vector
[tex]
\dot{r_Q}=2\hat{i}+1\hat{j}
[/tex]
Therefore the velocity is constant as neither are functions of time. To find the magnitude next
[tex]
\sqrt{2^2+1^2}=\sqrt{5}m/s
[/tex]
And the direction
[tex]
tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})=26.57°
[/tex]

Part C:
To find the time when P and Q have parallel velocities first P's velocity vector needs to be found
[tex]
\dot{r_P}=2t\hat{i}+4\hat{j}
[/tex]
It can be seen that both P and Q have constant J components therefore they will be parallel when the I components are the same.
[tex]
2t=2 \\
t=1
[/tex]

However the answer to part C is apparently 4 not 1. Any help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
FaraDazed said:

Homework Statement

Two particles P and Q move in an x-y plane. At time t seconds the position vector of P is [itex](t^2\hat{i}+4t\hat{j})m[/itex] and Q is [itex](2t\hat{i}+(t+1)\hat{j})m[/itex].

A: Prove the particle never collide
B: Show that the velocity of Q is constant, and calcualte the magnitude and direction
C: Find the value for t when P and Q have parallel velocities and find the distance between them at this point.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Its part C that is confusing me but incase I messed the others up I will post them as well.

Part A:
For the particles to collide their position vectors will equal each other at the same time so setting their I an J components to equal each other should produce any times they are equal. First their I components.
[tex]
2t=t^2 \\
0=t^2 - 2t \\
0=t(t-2)
[/tex]
Therefore when t=0 and t=2 the I components are the same. And now the J components.
[tex]
t+1=4t \\
1=3t \\
t=\frac{1}{3}
[/tex]
Therefore their J components are only equal when t=1/3, therefore they never collide as the I and J's are never the same at the same time.

Part B:
The velocity of Q will be constant if neither of the components are functions of time so differentiation will find me the velocity vector
[tex]
\dot{r_Q}=2\hat{i}+1\hat{j}
[/tex]
Therefore the velocity is constant as neither are functions of time. To find the magnitude next
[tex]
\sqrt{2^2+1^2}=\sqrt{5}m/s
[/tex]
And the direction
[tex]
tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})=26.57°
[/tex]

Part C:
To find the time when P and Q have parallel velocities first P's velocity vector needs to be found
[tex]
\dot{r_P}=2t\hat{i}+4\hat{j}
[/tex]
It can be seen that both P and Q have constant J components therefore they will be parallel when the I components are the same.
[tex]
2t=2 \\
t=1
[/tex]

However the answer to part C is apparently 4 not 1. Any help is appreciated :)
Hello FaraDazed,
For part C you are asked to find t for parallel vectors.What you are doing is making them equal (by equating both components ).When two vectors are parallel their components are proportional. I think this should give you the correct answer.
If you use t=1 as you got in C
v(p)=[itex](2\hat{i}+4\hat{j})[/itex]
and v(q)=[itex](2\hat{i}+\hat{j})[/itex]
They are neither equal nor parallel.
Just try making the velocity components proportional.
Regards
Yukoel

If two vectors are parallel, then one can be expressed as a scalar multiple of the other. i.e we can express this as $$\begin{pmatrix} {2}\\{1} \end{pmatrix} = \alpha \begin{pmatrix} {2t}\\{4} \end{pmatrix}$$ Solve this system for ##\alpha## and hence for ##t##.

Thank you guys I get it now, thanks :)

For part C, you have correctly found that the parallel velocities occur when t=1. However, the distance between P and Q at this time is not 1, but rather:

r_P = (1^2*1 + 4*1) = (1+4) = 5m
r_Q = (2*1 + (1+1)) = (2+2) = 4m

The distance between P and Q at this time is the magnitude of the difference between their position vectors:

|r_P-r_Q| = |(5-4)\hat{i} + (4-4)\hat{j}| = |1\hat{i} + 0\hat{j}| = sqrt(1^2 + 0^2) = 1m

Therefore, the distance between P and Q at the time when they have parallel velocities is 1m.

1. What are I/J vectors in mechanics?

I/J vectors are a way to represent the direction of motion in mechanics problems. The I vector represents motion in the x-direction, while the J vector represents motion in the y-direction. Together, they form a coordinate system that can be used to analyze the motion of an object.

2. How do I use I/J vectors to solve a mechanics problem?

To use I/J vectors, you must first break down the problem into its x and y components. Then, you can use the I/J vectors to represent the direction of each component and use vector addition to find the total displacement or velocity of the object.

3. Can I use I/J vectors in three-dimensional mechanics problems?

Yes, I/J vectors can be extended to three dimensions by adding a K vector to represent motion in the z-direction. This can be useful for analyzing more complex problems involving motion in three dimensions.

4. Are I/J vectors the only way to represent motion in mechanics?

No, there are other ways to represent motion in mechanics, such as using Cartesian coordinates or polar coordinates. However, I/J vectors are commonly used because they are easy to visualize and work well for problems involving motion in two dimensions.

5. How can I check if my I/J vector calculations are correct?

One way to check your I/J vector calculations is by using the Pythagorean theorem. If you have the x and y components, you can use the theorem to find the magnitude of the total displacement or velocity and compare it to your calculated result. Additionally, you can also check if the direction of the vector aligns with the direction of motion in the problem.