1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics question with variable force

1. Dec 22, 2006 #1
    Question copied word for word

1. A particle of mass m moves in a straight line under the action of force F where F = ms, s being the displacement of the particle from O, a fixed point on the line.
    When s = -a the velocity of the particle is u. Find the velocity of the particle when s = 0.

2. F = ma or F= -ma (i think...)

a = v(dv/ds)

3. If ms = -ma, then s is always equal to -a, so the velocity would always be u, which doesnt look right... Or if I intergate:

s = -a

s = -v(dv/ds)

s^2 = -(v^2) + c

replace s with a and v with u.

a^2 + u^2 = c

s^2 + v^2 = a^2 + u^2

when s = 0, a = 0

v = u

Where have i gone wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2006 #2
    F = ms? Force = MassxLength? :confused:

I think something is amiss.
  4. Dec 22, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

Doesn't have to be a miss, the given force is a function of the displacement.
  5. Dec 22, 2006 #4
    Okay, fine. I suppose the constant in some set of units take the value of 1. Sorry about that.
  6. Dec 22, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

F= ma. Don't guess- look it up.

Why would the velocity always be u? If s is not 0 then -a is not 0: with non-zero acceleration, the velocity changes.

You aren't really saying anything here. What is v if not u?

You are correct that [itex]v^2+ s^2= C[/itex], a constant.

Is "a" here some given constant? In that case, you have [itex]C= u^2+ a^2[/itex] and so the general formula is [itex]v^2+ s^2= u^2+ a^2[/itex] where u and a are given constants. When s= 0, [itex]v^2= u^2+ a^2[/itex] and so [itex]v= \pm \sqrt{u^2+ a^2}[/itex].
  7. Dec 22, 2006 #6
    If F = ma then the particle would speed off in one direction, unless it ended up or started at O with a velocity of zero. If F = -ma then you would get harmonic motion... I thought it might be plus or minus because in the question it didnt say whether the force was towards or away from O.

I was thinking that a was acceleration, which was why i got confused... The velocity can't always be u. In the other questions the teacher used k for any generic constant and used the word acceleration instead of a symbol. I'll just guess that he meant to write k and made a mistake.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?