Medical Grade Plastics for Oxygen Delivery

In summary, there are restrictions on what materials can be used for oxygen delivery in a nursing home. There are many options for generating oxygen, but one is a machine that is placed near the bedside.
Bobalony
Hi everyone,

I have a question about regulations for medical materials.
I want to know if there are any sort of restrictions on what kinds of plastics and or other materials you can use for oxygen delivery.

A bit of background on the question.
My grandmother is in a nursing home and every day my mother goes to visit her. My grandmother is on oxygen (3 L/m), and recently there has been an issue with them not replacing her tank when it's empty. I know they are busy and there are hundreds of residents and each tank runs out at different times so I'm not surprised it happens. But my mother asked me if there was anything I could think of to fix the problem. Being more of an electronics guy I thought an oxygen sensor or a pressure sensor with a controller and a buzzer should do it. And so as not to have to redesign the wheel I thought something in-line after the tank regulator/conservator and before the cannula would be best. Ill attach a terrible mspaint picture of what I mean.

but the question is housing for the sensor and the fittings I want to know if there are certain materials that cannot be used. Or if somewhere there is a list of approved materials.

Or maybe someone knows of just such a device that I didn't find in my google-ing.

Any direction at all would be appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    661 bytes · Views: 437
Biology news on Phys.org
Another solution for 3L/m is to generate the O2 with a machine at her bedside. I will look for some links...

berkeman said:
I'm thinking of units like these: http://www.vitalitymedical.com/home-oxygen-concentrator.html

Will one of those work?

Hi Berkeman,
She does have one of those machines in her room by her bed which she uses when she's in the room, but she spends most of her time "out and about" in the activity rooms. So she's mostly getting air from the tank on the back of her wheelchair. I would venture a guess at size D or JD, they aren't very big.
she doesn't use a conservator (nurses said she was a mouth breather so it wasn't getting the suction to start delivery) so she runs the tanks down a bit faster than others. probably part of why they aren't always on top of her empty tanks.
but it wasn't a bad thought so thanks

I can provide some insight into the regulations and materials used for oxygen delivery in the medical field. First and foremost, all materials used for medical purposes, including oxygen delivery, must meet strict regulations and standards set by organizations such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States. These regulations ensure that the materials used are safe for human use and will not cause harm or contamination.

In terms of plastics specifically, medical grade plastics are used for oxygen delivery due to their durability, flexibility, and ability to withstand sterilization processes. These plastics must be free of any toxins or impurities, and must also be able to maintain their integrity and not degrade when exposed to oxygen or other medical gases.

There are also specific types of plastics that are commonly used for oxygen delivery, such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and polyethylene (PE). These materials have been extensively tested and approved for use in medical devices.

In addition to regulations on materials, there are also regulations on the design and manufacturing of medical devices, including oxygen delivery systems. These regulations ensure that the devices are safe, effective, and reliable for patient use.

In regards to the device you mentioned, it is possible that there may already be a similar device on the market. However, it is important to note that any new medical device must go through a rigorous approval process before it can be used in clinical settings.

I hope this information is helpful in understanding the regulations and materials used for oxygen delivery in the medical field. It is always important to consult with healthcare professionals and follow proper procedures when modifying or creating medical devices.

1. What are medical grade plastics?

Medical grade plastics are materials that have been specifically designed and tested for use in medical applications. They are required to meet strict standards for biocompatibility, sterility, and durability to ensure they are safe and effective for use in the human body.

2. Why are medical grade plastics used for oxygen delivery?

Medical grade plastics are used for oxygen delivery because they are able to maintain their shape and function in the presence of high oxygen concentrations. They are also resistant to degradation and do not react with oxygen, ensuring that the oxygen delivered to the patient is pure and safe for use.

3. What are the benefits of using medical grade plastics for oxygen delivery?

Using medical grade plastics for oxygen delivery offers several benefits. These materials are lightweight, flexible, and easy to mold into different shapes, making them ideal for use in medical devices such as oxygen masks and tubing. They are also non-toxic, non-reactive, and can be sterilized, ensuring the safety and effectiveness of the oxygen delivery process.

4. Are all medical grade plastics suitable for oxygen delivery?

No, not all medical grade plastics are suitable for oxygen delivery. Only materials that have been specifically tested and certified for this purpose should be used. These materials must meet strict standards for biocompatibility and must not react with oxygen or other gases.

5. How are medical grade plastics tested for oxygen delivery?

Medical grade plastics are tested for oxygen delivery using a variety of methods, including biocompatibility testing, gas permeability testing, and chemical analysis. These tests ensure that the materials are safe, non-reactive, and able to maintain their integrity when exposed to high concentrations of oxygen.