Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meet The Press: Who should replace Russert?

1. Jun 20, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Egad, they are talking about Andrea Mitchell, who I thought was the worst substitute to ever host the show, and Chris Mathews, who I don't even consider to be a real journalist.

Will NBC honor the over 50 year long tradition of excellence in journalism, on MTP?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2008 #2
    Charlie Rose.

4. Jun 20, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Williams or Gregory. Rose's style is more hands off, and not suited to the often dirty job of wrestling with the spin, the flip-flops and the "I have no recollection of that incident" kind of incidents.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  5. Jun 20, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Williams will be hosting this week. Tsu mentioned Williams right away as well.

I have tremendous respect for Charlie Rose, but to me he isn't a political animal - not really a creature of Washington.

Damn! Russert is going to be a really tough act to follow. One associate said that it will literally take three people to do his job.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  6. Jun 20, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Charlie Rose was the first one I'd think of.

How about Ed Bradley of CBS 60 minutes, or is he too laid back?

Jon Stewart?

7. Jun 20, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love Jon Stewart, but don't you EVEN talk like that.

8. Jun 20, 2008 #7
    Anyone but Couric please, I'd rather see Regis Philbin than her for god sakes. . .

9. Jun 20, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I'd like to nominate Lara Logan and Trish Regan (CBS would have to buy her contract from MSNBC). They are smart, tough, and would make an impressive tag-team.

10. Jun 20, 2008 #9
    Anne Coutler, Sean Hannity, or Bill O-tool-the-fool-Rilley.

11. Jun 20, 2008 #10
    Are you kidding? I think Stewart would actually do a damn good job.

12. Jun 20, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want to believe in miracles, put Jon Stewart on MTP: Russert will rise from the dead before that happens.

13. Jun 20, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...errrr, I think Ed Bradley would be way, way too laid back, seeing as he died in 2006....RIP, Ed!

I like Gregory. He's got a ways to go before he would fill Russert's shoes, but I think he's got "the right stuff."

14. Jun 20, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I had forgotten that!

Who?

15. Jun 20, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

David Gregory, currently the White House correspondent for NBC. He's young, though - just 38!

16. Jun 20, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmmm, I haven't paid close attention to his work. I will though.

17. Jun 20, 2008 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now you are just asking to get hurt! :mad:

18. Jun 20, 2008 #17

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the best bet is David Gregory. He is no Tim Russert, but he seems to be best for the job. I mean I think Olbermann is hilarious, but no one (including himself as he said on his show) considers him unbiased enough to be qualified to fill the position of Russert.

The same goes for Matthews. And if they even THINK of giving the job to Abrams, the most boring, unwatchable guy on the network, I will stop watching television altogether.

19. Jun 20, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Long ago, MTP was done by a panel of journalists. That might not be a bad idea. And we already know who Russert liked and respected - regulars on his show.

20. Jun 20, 2008 #19
    With the way politics has been headed in recent years the show might do best with a good cop bad cop duo.

21. Jun 21, 2008 #20
    Meet the Press will probably be run by alternating hosts for a few months, and I'd imagine somebody such as David Gregory will end up hosting it after the transition phase. Tom Brokaw would be a great temporary host, but I doubt he would want to spend so much time working on TV again following his "retirement".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?