Meet The Press: Who should replace Russert?

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Egad, they are talking about Andrea Mitchell, who I thought was the worst substitute to ever host the show, and Chris Mathews, who I don't even consider to be a real journalist.

Will NBC honor the over 50 year long tradition of excellence in journalism, on MTP?

Charlie Rose.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Williams or Gregory. Rose's style is more hands off, and not suited to the often dirty job of wrestling with the spin, the flip-flops and the "I have no recollection of that incident" kind of incidents.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Williams will be hosting this week. Tsu mentioned Williams right away as well.

I have tremendous respect for Charlie Rose, but to me he isn't a political animal - not really a creature of Washington.

Damn! Russert is going to be a really tough act to follow. One associate said that it will literally take three people to do his job.

Last edited:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Charlie Rose was the first one I'd think of.

How about Ed Bradley of CBS 60 minutes, or is he too laid back?

Jon Stewart?

Anyone but Couric please, I'd rather see Regis Philbin than her for god sakes. . .

turbo

Gold Member
I'd like to nominate Lara Logan and Trish Regan (CBS would have to buy her contract from MSNBC). They are smart, tough, and would make an impressive tag-team.

Anne Coutler, Sean Hannity, or Bill O-tool-the-fool-Rilley.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you want to believe in miracles, put Jon Stewart on MTP: Russert will rise from the dead before that happens.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Charlie Rose was the first one I'd think of.

How about Ed Bradley of CBS 60 minutes, or is he too laid back?

Jon Stewart?
...errrr, I think Ed Bradley would be way, way too laid back, seeing as he died in 2006....RIP, Ed!

I like Gregory. He's got a ways to go before he would fill Russert's shoes, but I think he's got "the right stuff."

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...errrr, I think Ed Bradley would be way, way too laid back, seeing as he died in 2006....RIP, Ed!
:rofl: I had forgotten that!

I like Gregory. He's got a ways to go before he would fill Russert's shoes, but I think he's got "the right stuff."
Who?

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmmmm, I haven't paid close attention to his work. I will though.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think the best bet is David Gregory. He is no Tim Russert, but he seems to be best for the job. I mean I think Olbermann is hilarious, but no one (including himself as he said on his show) considers him unbiased enough to be qualified to fill the position of Russert.

The same goes for Matthews. And if they even THINK of giving the job to Abrams, the most boring, unwatchable guy on the network, I will stop watching television altogether.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'd like to nominate Lara Logan and Trish Regan (CBS would have to buy her contract from MSNBC). They are smart, tough, and would make an impressive tag-team.

Long ago, MTP was done by a panel of journalists. That might not be a bad idea. And we already know who Russert liked and respected - regulars on his show.

With the way politics has been headed in recent years the show might do best with a good cop bad cop duo.

Meet the Press will probably be run by alternating hosts for a few months, and I'd imagine somebody such as David Gregory will end up hosting it after the transition phase. Tom Brokaw would be a great temporary host, but I doubt he would want to spend so much time working on TV again following his "retirement".

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Meet the Press will probably be run by alternating hosts for a few months, and I'd imagine somebody such as David Gregory will end up hosting it after the transition phase. Tom Brokaw would be a great temporary host, but I doubt he would want to spend so much time working on TV again following his "retirement".
I have a hard time understanding Brokaw. He seems to slur, especially multi-syllabic words. I find it distracting, and a bit humorous.

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Seems that Brokaw will be the transition host throughout the rest of the election season.

John McLaughling! If you think otherwise you are WRONG.

BYE BYEEEEEEEEEEE