Meet The Press: Who should replace Russert?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I think it would be a good idea for MTP to have a panel of journalists like they used to have. Gregory would be a good choice, along with Anne Coutler, Sean Hannity, and Bill O-tool-the-fool-Rilley. Gregory is young, though - just 38!In summary, NBC is talking about replacing Chris Mathews with David Gregory and replacing Charlie Rose with Jon Stewart.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Egad, they are talking about Andrea Mitchell, who I thought was the worst substitute to ever host the show, and Chris Mathews, who I don't even consider to be a real journalist.

Will NBC honor the over 50 year long tradition of excellence in journalism, on MTP?

Physics news on Phys.org
Charlie Rose.

Williams or Gregory. Rose's style is more hands off, and not suited to the often dirty job of wrestling with the spin, the flip-flops and the "I have no recollection of that incident" kind of incidents.

Last edited:
Williams will be hosting this week. Tsu mentioned Williams right away as well.

I have tremendous respect for Charlie Rose, but to me he isn't a political animal - not really a creature of Washington.

Damn! Russert is going to be a really tough act to follow. One associate said that it will literally take three people to do his job.

Last edited:
Charlie Rose was the first one I'd think of.

How about Ed Bradley of CBS 60 minutes, or is he too laid back?

Jon Stewart?

Astronuc said:
Jon Stewart?

I love Jon Stewart, but don't you EVEN talk like that.

Anyone but Couric please, I'd rather see Regis Philbin than her for god sakes. . .

I'd like to nominate Lara Logan and Trish Regan (CBS would have to buy her contract from MSNBC). They are smart, tough, and would make an impressive tag-team.

Anne Coutler, Sean Hannity, or Bill O-tool-the-fool-Rilley.

Ivan Seeking said:
I love Jon Stewart, but don't you EVEN talk like that.

Are you kidding? I think Stewart would actually do a damn good job.

If you want to believe in miracles, put Jon Stewart on MTP: Russert will rise from the dead before that happens.

Astronuc said:
Charlie Rose was the first one I'd think of.

How about Ed Bradley of CBS 60 minutes, or is he too laid back?

Jon Stewart?

...errrr, I think Ed Bradley would be way, way too laid back, seeing as he died in 2006...RIP, Ed!

I like Gregory. He's got a ways to go before he would fill Russert's shoes, but I think he's got "the right stuff."

lisab said:
...errrr, I think Ed Bradley would be way, way too laid back, seeing as he died in 2006...RIP, Ed!

:rofl: I had forgotten that!

I like Gregory. He's got a ways to go before he would fill Russert's shoes, but I think he's got "the right stuff."

Who?

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: I had forgotten that!

Who?

David Gregory, currently the White House correspondent for NBC. He's young, though - just 38!

Hmmmm, I haven't paid close attention to his work. I will though.

Cyrus said:
Anne Coutler, Sean Hannity, or Bill O-tool-the-fool-Rilley.

Now you are just asking to get hurt! :mad:

I think the best bet is David Gregory. He is no Tim Russert, but he seems to be best for the job. I mean I think Olbermann is hilarious, but no one (including himself as he said on his show) considers him unbiased enough to be qualified to fill the position of Russert.

The same goes for Matthews. And if they even THINK of giving the job to Abrams, the most boring, unwatchable guy on the network, I will stop watching television altogether.

turbo-1 said:
I'd like to nominate Lara Logan and Trish Regan (CBS would have to buy her contract from MSNBC). They are smart, tough, and would make an impressive tag-team.

Long ago, MTP was done by a panel of journalists. That might not be a bad idea. And we already know who Russert liked and respected - regulars on his show.

With the way politics has been headed in recent years the show might do best with a good cop bad cop duo.

Meet the Press will probably be run by alternating hosts for a few months, and I'd imagine somebody such as David Gregory will end up hosting it after the transition phase. Tom Brokaw would be a great temporary host, but I doubt he would want to spend so much time working on TV again following his "retirement".

Alienjoey said:
Meet the Press will probably be run by alternating hosts for a few months, and I'd imagine somebody such as David Gregory will end up hosting it after the transition phase. Tom Brokaw would be a great temporary host, but I doubt he would want to spend so much time working on TV again following his "retirement".

I have a hard time understanding Brokaw. He seems to slur, especially multi-syllabic words. I find it distracting, and a bit humorous.

Alienjoey said:

Seems that Brokaw will be the transition host throughout the rest of the election season.

John McLaughling! If you think otherwise you are WRONG.

BYE BYEEEEEEEEEEE

Lara Logan for sure.

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=173871

G01 said:
The same goes for Matthews. And if they even THINK of giving the job to Abrams, the most boring, unwatchable guy on the network, I will stop watching television altogether.

Ugh, Abrams...

I don't know, I think the person that jokingly said Stewart was on the right track, except we need someone who writes his own material.

Stand up comics are the most brutally honest people out there. I can't imagine Lewis Black throwing people softballs.

I love watching Biden and Graham debate.

Williams did a pretty good job.

turbo-1 said:
Lara Logan for sure.

And I second that! I love the soft spoken accent.:!)

turbo-1 said:
Lara Logan for sure.

She has to do it topless.

It will be Brokaw for the election cycle.

Any opinions on the show today?

I think Brokaw does a fine job, but so far, MTP without Russert reminds me of a taco without hot sauce.

Also, I don't believe that what Schwarzenegger said was true. Either Russert was joking about getting him on the Presidential ticket, or Arnold was misstating the case.

Cyrus said:
She has to do it topless.
That's a plan. Logan and Regan (both tough, smart, and cute) do MTP topless and slam the (mostly male) Dem and Rep leaders with the toughest questions that they can come up with. If they're not gay, can they lie convincingly? :rofl:

turbo-1 said:
That's a plan. Logan and Regan (both tough, smart, and cute) do MTP topless and slam the (mostly male) Dem and Rep leaders with the toughest questions that they can come up with. If they're not gay, can they lie convincingly? :rofl:

Excuse me, my eyes are up here!

...uhuh...yeah...uhuh...up there...yeah...uhuh... (nodds while staring at tits)

This might be a good idea. Do head-shots on the interviewers and the pols, and have hot-looking naked babes off-camera distracting the pols (rotate the babes to keep the tension up) and see if they can keep coming up with plausible lies while Mr Happy is begging for attention.

Any comments on the new host, David Gregory?

<h2>1. Who is currently hosting "Meet The Press" after Tim Russert's passing?</h2><p>The current host of "Meet The Press" is Chuck Todd. He took over the role in September 2014 after Tim Russert's passing in June 2008.</p><h2>2. Has there been any speculation on who will permanently replace Tim Russert?</h2><p>There has been much speculation on who will permanently replace Tim Russert as the host of "Meet The Press". Some names that have been mentioned include Andrea Mitchell, Chuck Todd, and Jake Tapper.</p><h2>3. What qualifications and experience are necessary to host "Meet The Press"?</h2><p>The host of "Meet The Press" is expected to have a strong background in journalism and political reporting. They should also possess excellent interviewing skills and a deep understanding of current events and political issues.</p><h2>4. Will the format of "Meet The Press" change with a new host?</h2><p>It is likely that there will be some changes to the format of "Meet The Press" with a new host. However, the show's focus on political news and analysis is expected to remain the same.</p><h2>5. When will a permanent replacement for Tim Russert be announced?</h2><p>There is no set timeline for when a permanent replacement for Tim Russert will be announced. The decision ultimately rests with NBC News and they have not given any indication of when they will make an announcement.</p>

1. Who is currently hosting "Meet The Press" after Tim Russert's passing?

The current host of "Meet The Press" is Chuck Todd. He took over the role in September 2014 after Tim Russert's passing in June 2008.

2. Has there been any speculation on who will permanently replace Tim Russert?

There has been much speculation on who will permanently replace Tim Russert as the host of "Meet The Press". Some names that have been mentioned include Andrea Mitchell, Chuck Todd, and Jake Tapper.

3. What qualifications and experience are necessary to host "Meet The Press"?

The host of "Meet The Press" is expected to have a strong background in journalism and political reporting. They should also possess excellent interviewing skills and a deep understanding of current events and political issues.

4. Will the format of "Meet The Press" change with a new host?

It is likely that there will be some changes to the format of "Meet The Press" with a new host. However, the show's focus on political news and analysis is expected to remain the same.

5. When will a permanent replacement for Tim Russert be announced?

There is no set timeline for when a permanent replacement for Tim Russert will be announced. The decision ultimately rests with NBC News and they have not given any indication of when they will make an announcement.