Melting ice block on an inclined plane?

In summary, the conversation is about a question that involves an ice block melting and sliding down a rough surface. The initial mass of the ice block is 3 kg and it decelerates at a rate of -0.2 m/s^2 per 0.2 kg mass, starting with an acceleration of 0.7 m/s^2. The question asks for the mass of the melting ice block at 0 m/s^2 and the constant friction acting on the block. The conversation also touches on the unclear wording of the question and the need to consider the changing coefficient of friction in order for the scenario to be possible.
NotANumber
Hello all...

Help... :confused:

my teacher gave us this question and...

no matter how I approach this question, I just can't solve it...

The question asks...

an ice block melts and slides down a plane of rough surface..

The mass of the ice block starts at 3 kg, and its mass decreases as it melts..

The ice block decelerates at -0.2 m/s^2 per 0.2 kg mass starting at an acceleration of 0.7 m/s^2... (the incline of the plane is 20 degrees, so the angle between the Fgravity and Fperpendicular is 20 degrees as well, Fperpendicular = Fpull, that I know)

and the question asks me to find the mass of the melting ice block at 0m/s^2 and as well the friction acting on the ice block (assumed to be constant)

I think I kinda know how to do this (I can do mass on an inclined plane with u coefficient), but my teacher doesn't like giving us u... plus I just kinda can't think my way around this melting mass with an shifting acceleration thing...

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the wording of this question could be a little clearer. Particularly, exactly what is meant by "decelerates at -0.2m/s/s per 0.2kg"
I take it to mean that the block, initial mass 3kg, starts slipping down the plane and has an initial acceleration of 0.7m/s/s down the plane. It is melting, and for every 0.2kg of mass it loses, the acceleration reduces by 0.2m/s/s.
So when it is 2.8kg the acceleration is 0.5m/s/s, when it is 2.6kg the acceleration is 0.3m/s/s and so on.
So what is the mass when the acceleration is 0m/s/s

When the acceleration is zero, what do you know about the resultant force on the block?
If you know the component of the weight down the slope, you can find the frictional force required to give zero acceleration.
I imagine the reason your teacher does not want to discuss the coefficient of friction, is that in order for this all to happen as described, its value cannot remain constant.

What causes an ice block to melt on an inclined plane?

The main factor that causes an ice block to melt on an inclined plane is the force of gravity. As the ice block slides down the incline, it gains kinetic energy and experiences frictional forces. This friction generates heat, causing the ice to melt.

How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the melting rate of the ice block?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the ice block will melt. This is because a steeper angle increases the force of gravity and the speed at which the ice block slides down the incline, leading to more heat generation and a higher melting rate.

What role does the material of the inclined plane play in the melting process?

The material of the inclined plane does not directly affect the melting process. However, the roughness of the surface can impact the amount of friction and heat generated, which in turn can affect the melting rate of the ice block.

Can the shape of the ice block affect its melting rate on an inclined plane?

Yes, the shape of the ice block can impact its melting rate on an inclined plane. For example, a thin and flat ice block will melt faster than a thick and round ice block, as it has a larger surface area in contact with the inclined plane and experiences more friction.

How does the surrounding temperature affect the melting of the ice block on an inclined plane?

The surrounding temperature can affect the melting rate of the ice block on an inclined plane. Higher temperatures will increase the rate of melting, while lower temperatures will slow it down. This is because the temperature difference between the ice block and its surroundings affects the rate of heat transfer.