Melting ice using latent heat and heat of fusion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
Navygal
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What quantity of ice at 2 deg Celsius can be melted by 100 J of heat?


Homework Equations



q = m c (delta) t (mass x specific heat x change in temp)
q = m l (mass x heat of fusion)

specific heat of ice = 2.09 j/g-K
heat of fusion = 6.01 kJ/mol

The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried to solve this problem by combining both equations for the same q such that
q = mc(delta)t + ml which rearranges to:
q = m (c delta t + l)

solving for m: m = q/ (c delta t + l)

The part I got stuck is when I tried to solve for m since m is in grams, and the heat of fusion is in moles. Is there another way to solve this or am I missing something?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org