Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Memory Problem? Not using computer for 8 weeks

1. Jun 28, 2007 #1
    Recently I have been having a problem with my memory, at least that is what I think it is. I am using Windows XP home (SP 2) [1 gb memory], and in the past week or so I have been having an almost daily problem of getting a BSOD with a memory dump error. I often hear people complain about Firefox having memory problems, and that could be it. It seems common that I have this problem when I am using Firefox and Winamp at the same time, which I do often and am currently doing right now :smile: I am not sure if I got a virus or some other bad thing or not, but I just ran ad-aware and had 5 "critical objects" none of which seemed to be really critical (just browser cache/cookie stuff). I will do a virus scan in a minute and see if I get anything. Any other ideas about what to do here? Thanks.

edit... I just realized that I don't have a virus scanner, any recommendations here? Something free of course.

Also, I will be moving out for 8 weeks on Friday and not using my desktop computer for that entire period. Is there anything I should do here? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Download an older version of Firefox if you'd like. I'm still using 1.5, because it's a tank. Also, download one of the many free memory tester programs and run them.

- Warren

4. Jun 28, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

Avast home edition is a very competent and free virus scanner. It also uses very little system resources.

You can also get a memory diagnostic tool to check your memory.
    http://www.memtest.org/
    In my experience I've found Windows not very picky with memory issues (only in extreme conditions does it give the BSoD). For instance I've had a laptop where I only had windows xp on it; it worked fine. However, once I attempted to install GNU Linux on it, I was getting all sorts of kernel errors and panics. Running memtest revealed the obvious.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  5. Jun 28, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I'll attest to the issues with Firefox. I wish I still had my older version. I love the program, but 2.0 has some issues.

Thanks for the link Ranger. I wish I had known about Avast sooner. I just re-upped my subscription to Norton.

6. Jun 28, 2007 #5

ranger

Gold Member

Yup, 2.0 has some memory problems., I notice them even more when I use Java and flash based applets. Although its never been that extreme to cause a BSoD; just merely crashes. I guess thats why the developers put in that recovery feature :) Then theres that issue with it using too much memory space. I use it to browse the net for about 15 mins, and I run top on Linux and omg, it eats up +60MB of memory!. Its even worse if you have add-ons and themes.

I'd go back to 1.5 but I like individual close buttons for tabs :)

7. Jun 28, 2007 #6
  8. Jun 28, 2007 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Jun 28, 2007 #8

ranger

Gold Member

Thanks, robphy. I'll give it a whirl.

10. Jun 28, 2007 #9
    Thanks for the responses. I ran the virus software and I think I had nothing (I was away from the computer when it was running). I did not run the memory test because my cd burner is always iffy and seems to rarely work. I will look at trying it and Firefox 1.5 when I get back.

11. Jun 28, 2007 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

12. Jun 29, 2007 #11
    You can run memtest from a bootable USB drive or floppy disk.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?