What is the Source of Strange Sewer-Like Fumes Causing Reactions?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of metal for creating airtight seals on jars, and whether the expansion of metal could compromise its airtight properties. It was also mentioned that the airtight property of containers is not due to metal-to-metal or metal-to-glass seals, but rather an intermediate layer that helps to make the seal work. The rate of gas diffusion is determined by temperature and pressure, rather than tension in the metal or glass. There was also a discussion about the permeability of gases, particularly hydrogen, through different materials. Finally, the conversation touched on the use of materials to block sewage gases and the issue of diffusion in containers.
Um, could you please use your words?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Per our previous conversation, I am investigating these strange sewer like fumes to which I react. Is there a possibility that I am reacting to a combination of H2S and CH4?

moriah said:
I am investigating these strange sewer like fumes to which I react. Is there a possibility that I am reacting to a combination of H2S and CH4?
I would discount carbon disulfide, CS2, as the smell you report. Carbon disulfide does not smell bad. There are many other more common sulfur based contaminants that stench, and so will mask the sweeter smell of CS2.

CS2 will not be produced by reactions in sewer gas. The synthesis of CS2 require an industrial process at much higher temperatures.

CS2 is a neurotoxin. In high concentrations it is known to cause psychosis in industrial workers. I am confident that CS2 is not at sufficient levels to cause you to imagine the problem.

The odor you are sensing is probably a thiol or thiol derivative. We are very sensitive to the smell of those compounds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiol#Odor