Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal insulator transition and percolation

1. Dec 26, 2014 #1
    Hello,

For the past 2 days I've been looking for a resource discussing the metal insulator transition using percolation theory. (The next part treats the Anderson and Mott models)
    I'm studying for a course of solid state physics where this is mentioned/summarized.
    The problem is that the hand-outs are minimal, at best (ancient slides for an overhead projector that were scanned)

I've found some sources briefly mentioning it but without any reference.

I think I figured out it is about doping in semi-conductors which can turn the semi-conductor in a material with properties similar to metals. The application seems to allude to a low temperature environment as to minimize/avoid intrinsic charge carriers to exist.

Does anybody know of resources talking about this?
    Or does anybody think the above reasoning makes sense?

Joris

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jan 5, 2015 #3
    A little follow up;

Most of what I needed so far could be found in "Metal Insulator Transition" by Nevill Mott.
    Percolation theory got somewhat explained when I was reading about (variable range) hopping conductivity in this resource.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook