Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method for deduce Schrödinger Equation

1. Nov 28, 2014 #1
    Is there any method for deduce Schrödinger equation from quantization of action??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The closest way in this direction is the Feynman path-integral approach, from which you can derive the Schrödinger equation. Of course, action is not quantized to begin with :-).

4. Nov 28, 2014 #3
    But then, when is quantized the action?

5. Nov 28, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Where did you get the idea from that action is quantized? That's an idea that is outdated for nearly 89.5 years now! :-)

6. Nov 28, 2014 #5
    But then, how is deduced the Schrödinger Equation??. All the phyiscs theories are the result of a minimal or maximal quantity of a magnitud. k for thermodynamics, c for special relativity

7. Nov 28, 2014 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't understand this ideas. There is no way to derive quantum theory from simpler principles. Today, it's a fundamental theory. It's also not possible to derive Newtonian classica mechanics or classical electromagnetic theory from something simpler than the fundamental laws (Newton's space-time model and the dynamical equations of motion, whose principle form can be deduced from space-time symmetries but specific force laws like Newton's gravitational force; or Einstein-Minkowski space of special relativity, from which principle dynamical field equations can be derived, but the specific form of the Maxwell equations as the Abelian gauge theory of a massless vector field must be deduced from experience).

8. Nov 28, 2014 #7

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

You can see Leonard Susskind derive the Schrödinger equation in his 2012 course on Quantum Mechanics, lecture 4. It is on YouTube here

9. Nov 28, 2014 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In a different formulation/axiomatization of Quantum Mechanics, the [itex] \frac{d \psi(t)}{dt} = \frac{1}{i\hbar} H\psi(t) [/itex] is no longer an axiom, but a theorem. It's just a restatement of the known fact that the Hamiltonian is a generator of a strongly continuous unitary representation of a one-parameter subgroup of the symmetry group of the theory: the Galilei group in non-specially relativistic physics and the Poincare group in specially relativistic physics.

While what I wrote in the above paragraph is just fancy mathematics, there's a physical digression on this issue: the nice discussion in the 2nd Chapter of Prof. Sakurai's book on QM. The only derivation of the SE I can remember without resorting to harmonic analysis and functional analysis.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  10. Nov 28, 2014 #9
    But in 2.1.24 and 2.1.25 he assumes the linearity of the equation, ignoring terms of O(dx^2) (Sorry, I don´t manage Latex in this forum)

11. Nov 28, 2014 #10
    But he assumes in chapter E=\hbar⋅ω an exact relation. In the moment that quadratic terms there are, minors but there are (maybe, not I am assuming, simply not discharging, the linearity breaks Sorry, I don´t know use Latex in this forum

12. Nov 28, 2014 #11

jtbell

13. Nov 30, 2014 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

$$E=\hbar\omega$$ comes from the DeBroglie pilot wave assumption for material particles (other than photons). It's assumed exact, no linearity assumption implied.

14. Nov 30, 2014 #13

bhobba

Its true basis is symmetry - see Chapter 3 - Ballentine - QM - A Modern Development.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook