1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Method of Discs/Washers and Cylinderical Shells

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    There's just something I need cleared up. When rotating around a line that isn't the x or y axis,I'm not quite sure what to do. Here are some problems:

1) Find the volume of the solid that results when the region enclosed by y=√x, y=0, and x=9 is revolved around the line x=9.

2) Find the volume of the solid that results when the region enclosed by x=y² and x=y is revolved about the line y=-1

3) Use cylindrical shells to find the volume of the solid that is generated when the region that is enclosed by y=1/x^3 , x=1, x=2, y=0 is revolved about the line x=-1

I know that with the cylindrical shells the alteration is within the X part of the formula (2π∫x*f(x)dx) but I'm not exactly sure how to alternate the other two. For example, if the function is √x will the thing become √(x+1)^2 or [(√x)+1]^2? If you could just show me how to do each problem, that would solve my problems :) I know you guys aren't supposed to show how to do the problem, but the only way you can answer my questions is with showing mehow to do it :)

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Start by drawing a picture.

4. Jan 17, 2010 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi trogdor5! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    If you're changing x, then you're replacing x by x - a, so y = √x becomes y = √(x - a).

If you're changing y, then you're replacing y by y - a, so y = √x becomes y - a = √x.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook