1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a solid using disks/washers

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid generated by rotating the region enclosed by [itex]y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex] , x=-1,x=1 and y=0 about the line y=2

2. Relevant equations

pi(outer radius)^2-pi(inner radius)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since i am rotating around a horizontal line i figured disks/washers would be a better method than cylindrical shells for this problem. First i sketched the graph. It is sort of an upside down parabola enclosed by the x axis and x=-1 and x=1. For the outer radius I got 2 and for the inner radius I got [itex]2-\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex]. Since the limits of integration are -1 and 1 and its a parabola I figured I can use symmetry to make it from 0 to 1 and multiply the whole thing by 2.
    Step 1:
    [itex]2\pi \int_0^1(2)^2-(2-\frac{1}{1+x^2})^2\,dx[/itex]

Step 2:
    [itex]2\pi \int_0^1(4)-(4-\frac{4}{1+x^2}+\frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2})dx[/itex]

Step 3:
    [itex]2\pi \int_0^1\frac{4}{1+x^2}-\frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/itex]

Step 4:
    [itex]2\pi \int_0^1\frac{4(1+x^2)-1}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/itex]

Step 5:
    [itex]2\pi \int_0^1\frac{4x^2}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/itex]

Here I hit a wall because I am not entirely sure how to integrate this. In fact I am not even sure if I am correct up to this point. I would appreciate it greatly if you guys could point me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello toothpaste666. Welcome to PF !

It's not a parabola, but it is symmetric w.r.t the y-axis.

4(1 + x2) - 1 = 4x2 - 3 ≠ 4x2 .

4. Apr 2, 2014 #3
    Thank you! Wow I cant believe I made that mistake thank you for catching me on that. Wouldnt it be 4X^2+3? The rest of it is right so far though? I was a little unsure about my inner and outer radius and limits of integration. If that is the case I have been having trouble finding a method to integrate that. I played around with a couple of substitutions and partial fractions but I didn't make much progress.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  5. Apr 2, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I wouldn't do step 4. After step 3, the left hand integral is well-known. For the other, try the same trig substitution that solves the left hand one.

6. Apr 3, 2014 #5
    Oh i see i should have split the integral. I ended up just making it more complicated. So i should let x = tan(theta) on the integral on the right?

7. Apr 3, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That worked for me.

8. Apr 4, 2014 #7
    I got it. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted