Method of Frobenius for (1-x)y'' + xy' - α²/x² = 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter bart007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ode
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
bart007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Using method of frobenius about [itex]x=0[/itex] to solve:
[itex](1-x) y''+xy'-\frac{\alpha^2}{x^2}+=0[/itex]
[itex][/itex]

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution


1. plug in series into the equation.
2. adjust the index off all the terms.
3. write the extra terms separately so that we have all series starting at the same point.

and I get...

that the roots from the indicial equation
[itex]\lambda=\frac{1}{2}(1\pm\sqrt{4a^2+1})[/itex]
and for the recursion I get
[itex]c_n=\frac{c_{n-1}(\lambda+n-1)(\lambda+n-2)-c_{n-2}(\lambda+n-2)}{(\lambda+k)(\lambda+n-1)-\alpha^2}[/itex]

I am not sure how to check if this is correct or not.
Using a number for [itex]\alpha[/itex] I don't get any nice series that has a function.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the double post, first post was not showing.