Solve Equation with Method of Frobenius

In summary, using the Frobenius method, you were able to find a solution for the equation y(x)=-x^2 for powers of x that differed by an integer.
TheFerruccio

Homework Statement

Use method of Frobenius to solve this equation:

##y''(x)-y'(x)=x##

Homework Equations

------

The Attempt at a Solution

Seek an answer of the form

##y=\sum _{n=0}^{\infty } a_n x^{n+r}##

Plug into the equation to get...

##\sum _{n=0}^{\infty } a_{n+1} (n+r) (n+r-1) x^{n+r-2}-\sum _{n=0}^{\infty } a_n
(n+r) x^{n+r-1}=x##

Now, for every previous attempt I have had at Frobenius method, I am used to having a homogeneous equation. I'm likely having a brain fart because I do not see how I would put this equation into a homogeneous form so I can get the correct indicial equation and solve for my roots. Does anyone have a suggestion for the next proper step to take?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can first solve for the homogeneous equation. Try to find two linearly independent solutions. Then the general solution of the homogeneous equation is given by the general linear combination of these two solutions. Since you are told to use the Frobenius method, use it. Of course, the equation is easier solved in closed form with the standard ansatz [itex]y(x)=\exp(\lambda x)[/itex], but of course you can also use the Frobenius method.

Then you only need one particular solution of the inhomogeneous equation. It's clear that for this, the ansatz [itex]y(x)=a x^2+bx[/itex] must lead to one.

So, by solving the homogeneous equation and equating powers of x, I end up with the indicial equation
##r\left(r-1\right)a_0##=0

This gives me an integer difference for my powers of ##r##. 0 and 1. If I set ##r=0##, then I get the following relationships for the constants.
No equation is yielded for ##a_0## since 0=0 for the case of ##n=0##
For higher powers of ##n##, I get a series generated, which I can add to the a_0.

##y=a_0+a_1 x+\frac{a_1 x^2}{2}+\left(\frac{1}{3!}+\frac{a_1}{3!}\right)
x^3+\left(\frac{1}{4!}+\frac{a_1}{4!}\right) x^4+\ldots##

This is basically the solution. What I do not understand is what happened with the case of r=1? I am apparently fully finished with the solution after only touching the case of r=0. Isn't there a natural log that term that I need if the powers differ by an integer? Is it because I actually ended up with two constants instead of all of the constants relating to each other?

First of all, setting [itex]r=r_1=0[/itex], for the [itex]a_k[/itex] with [itex]k \geq 1[/itex] you get a recursion relation that determines them in terms of [itex]a_0 \neq 0[/itex] which is arbitrary. To find one of the linearly independent solutions, [itex]y_1(x)[/itex] you can set [itex]a_0=1[/itex].

Since the indical equation has [itex]r=r_2=1[/itex] as a second solution, we have [itex]r_1-r_2=1 \in \mathbb{N}_0[/itex]. Then we know that we can make the ansatz
[tex]y(x)=\gamma \ln x y_1(x)+\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} b_k x^{r_2+k}.[/tex]
Plugging this into the differential equation, you'll see you find a solution with [itex]b_0=1[/itex] and and arbitrary [itex]b_1[/itex]. You can set [itex]b_1=0[/itex]. The constant [itex]\gamma[/itex] is uniquely defined.

TheFerruccio said:
So, by solving the homogeneous equation and equating powers of x, I end up with the indicial equation
##r\left(r-1\right)a_0##=0

This gives me an integer difference for my powers of ##r##. 0 and 1.

If I set ##r=0##, then I get the following relationships for the constants.
No equation is yielded for ##a_0## since 0=0 for the case of ##n=0##
For higher powers of ##n##, I get a series generated, which I can add to the a_0.

##y=a_0+a_1 x+\frac{a_1 x^2}{2}+\left(\frac{1}{3!}+\frac{a_1}{3!}\right)
x^3+\left(\frac{1}{4!}+\frac{a_1}{4!}\right) x^4+\ldots##

This is basically the solution. What I do not understand is what happened with the case of r=1? I am apparently fully finished with the solution after only touching the case of r=0. Isn't there a natural log that term that I need if the powers differ by an integer? Is it because I actually ended up with two constants instead of all of the constants relating to each other?
When the roots differ by an integer, the larger of the roots will yield a solution. You essentially considered the r=1 case when you moved onto considering the coefficients ##a_1## and beyond. You obtained the solution you found that was proportional to ##a_1## and the particular solution. The smaller root may or may not result in a second solution depending on how the coefficients are related. In this problem, it did yield a solution, namely ##y_2(x) = a_0##. Since you found two independent solutions, you're done.

Fuch's theorem guarantees one solution. Only if the series method doesn't yield a second independent solution do you need to use the method vanhees described to find it.

1. What is the Method of Frobenius?

The Method of Frobenius is a mathematical technique used to find solutions for differential equations with polynomial coefficients. It is named after the German mathematician Ferdinand Georg Frobenius and is commonly used in physics and engineering problems.

2. When is the Method of Frobenius used?

The Method of Frobenius is used when the coefficients in a differential equation are not constant and cannot be solved by traditional methods such as separation of variables or substitution. It is also used for finding solutions that are in the form of power series.

3. How does the Method of Frobenius work?

The Method of Frobenius involves substituting a power series into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients of the series. These coefficients can then be used to find the general solution to the equation. The series is typically truncated after a certain number of terms to approximate the solution.

4. What are the advantages of using the Method of Frobenius?

The Method of Frobenius is advantageous because it can be used to find solutions for a wide range of differential equations with polynomial coefficients. It is also a powerful tool for solving boundary value problems and can provide accurate solutions even when other methods fail.

5. Are there any limitations to the Method of Frobenius?

While the Method of Frobenius is a useful technique, it does have limitations. It can only be used for equations with polynomial coefficients and may not work for equations with complex or non-constant coefficients. Additionally, the method may be limited in its accuracy depending on the number of terms used in the power series approximation.