1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of Frobenius and indicial equations

1. Apr 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello all,

I have a quick question,
    I'm solving a d.e using the Frobenius method and I have the indicial equation:

C1(2r-1)(r-1)+C2x(r)(2r+1)=0

Where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants not equal to zero.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question is, what are the roots? Previously I had only one constant and I would just leave it out since it's not equal to zero. Know that I have 2 constants can I just get rid of both of them? I need to solve for the r that makes the above statement true. Any help? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2015 #2
    My confusion is this: the c1 and c2 are not necessarily equal to each other, so I can't just factor them out. Before I had indicial eqns of the form c1(r)(r-2)=0 or something similar and it's easy to see the roots are 0 and 2. Now I have two terms tied up with two different constants....

4. Apr 28, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did "C1" and "C2" come from originally? What is the differential equation you are trying to solve?

5. Apr 28, 2015 #4
    The original equation is: 2x^2y''-xy'+(x^2+1)y=0

It's kind of a bear to solve. Basically after a bunch of work plugging in the y and its derivatives I need to combine two sums. One starts at x^0 and the other starts at x^2 so I have to pick off two terms from the first sum to combine them. The indicial equation comes from these two terms. If you could help that would be awesome! This is due tomorrow and I have been trying/talking to a lot of people and n
    No one seems to know how to solve it.

I did try just solving for r by setting the first part equal to 0 and the second part equal to 0x ( equating common terms) and then adding the two...I get r=1+sqrt(3)i and r= 1-sqrt(3)i........

6. Apr 29, 2015 #5
    Update: I found r to be 1+/- sqrt (5). think I'm good now..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted