Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of undetermined coefficients

1. Oct 31, 2006 #1
    hello everyone, i need some huge help here. heres the equation :

y''+y'-6y=10e^2x-18e^3x-6x-11.

complementary solution:c1e^2x+c2e^-3x
    s1={e^2x}
    s2={e^3x}
    s3=(x,1}
    ok since e^2x exists in the complimentary solution, it is therefore a solution, so i multiply it by x to get s'1{xe^2x}, so now i have that and my s2 and s3.

so i end up with this:

yp=Axe^2x+Be^3x+Cx+D

heres where i get confused do i use the product rule for Axe^2x, if so do i end up with these two derivatives: y'p=Axe^2x+2Ae^2x+...etc, y''p=Axe^2x+4Ae^2x+...etc. i really get confused with this product rule thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"heres where i get confused do i use the product rule for Axe^2x, if so do i end up with these two derivatives: y'p=Axe^2x+2Ae^2x+...etc, y''p=Axe^2x+4Ae^2x+...etc. i really get confused with this product rule thing."

Certainly you are to differentiate the whole thing!
    Those derivatives of xe^2x that doesn't differentiate the x-factor, but effectively only differentiates the exponential, will disappear.

4. Oct 31, 2006 #3
    why does'nt it differentiate the x factor?

5. Oct 31, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

h(x)=f(x)g(x)
    h'(x)=f(x)g'(x)+(f'(x)g(x))
    h''(x)=f(x)g''(x)+(2f'(x)g'(x)+f''(x))
    The paranthesized terms differentiaties f, the other terms regard f effectively as a constant multiple of the g-function.
    Assuming some diff.eq:
    [tex]\alpha{h}''+\beta{h}'+\gamma{h}=L(x)[/tex]
    we may write this as:
    [tex]f(x)(\alpha{g}''+\beta{g}'+\gamma{g})+(\alpha(2f'(x)g'(x)+f''(x)g)+\beta{f}'g)=L(x)[/tex]
    Thus, if g is a solution of the associated homogenous problem, the first term vanishes identically.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  6. Nov 1, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You misinterpreted this. arildno meant "in those terms where, using the product rule, the x itself was not differentiated".
    For example, differentiating xf(x) using the product rule, I get f(x)+ xf '(x). The term "xf '(x)" is the one arildno was referring to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?