Metric function composed with concave function

In summary, the author is struggling to prove an elementary property of a metric space. He has been reading about metric spaces and came across a property that is proving difficult. He is searching for help on online forums and google but is having difficulty finding a solution. He has tried applying a hint from a Math Man but it has not yielded any results.
shoescreen
Hi,

I have been reading about metric spaces and came across an elementary property that I am having difficulty proving. A quick search on these forums and google has also failed.

Given a metric space with distance function [itex]d[/itex], and an increasing, concave function [itex]f:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] so that [itex]f(0)=0[/itex], show that [itex]f\circ d[/itex] is a metric.

Of course, only the triangle inequality is nontrivial.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: First show that f(tx) >= tf(x).

I have been struggling with this problem all day so I described it in a google search and found this forum.

I have that f(d(x,y)) <= f(d(x,z)+d(z,y)) but I hit a brick wall when I try to "free" the d's out of the function, i.e. I get for example that f(d(x,z)+d(z,y)) >= (d(x,z)+d(z,y))*f(1) =d(x,z)*f(1) + d(z,y) * f(1) <=f(d(x,z)+f(d(z,y)), but that's worthless because the inequalities go back and forth.

I also tried putting f(d(x,z)+d(z,y)) = f((a+b)(d(x,z)+d(z,y))) = f(a*(d(x,z)+d(z,y))+b*(d(x,z)+d(z,y))) >= f(a*d(x,z)+b*d(z,y)) >= a*f(d(x,z)) + b*f(d(z,y)) but that doesn't give me anything useful.

Can anyone give another tip how I should be thinking about this problem?

trickycheese1 said:
I have been struggling with this problem all day so I described it in a google search and found this forum.

I have that f(d(x,y)) <= f(d(x,z)+d(z,y)) but I hit a brick wall when I try to "free" the d's out of the function, i.e. I get for example that f(d(x,z)+d(z,y)) >= (d(x,z)+d(z,y))*f(1) =d(x,z)*f(1) + d(z,y) * f(1) <=f(d(x,z)+f(d(z,y)), but that's worthless because the inequalities go back and forth.

I also tried putting f(d(x,z)+d(z,y)) = f((a+b)(d(x,z)+d(z,y))) = f(a*(d(x,z)+d(z,y))+b*(d(x,z)+d(z,y))) >= f(a*d(x,z)+b*d(z,y)) >= a*f(d(x,z)) + b*f(d(z,y)) but that doesn't give me anything useful.

Can anyone give another tip how I should be thinking about this problem?

Did you first show that mathman's hint is correct??

micromass said:
Did you first show that mathman's hint is correct??

Yes, I put y=0 in the equation f(ax + by) >= af(x) + bf(y), and in my calculations I tried to apply the hint but it didn't get me anywhere.

Now write

[tex]f(a)+f(b)=f\left((a+b)\frac{a}{a+b}\right)+f\left((a+b)\frac{b}{a+b}\right)[/tex]

Apply the hint with t = the fractions.

1. What is a metric function?

A metric function is a mathematical function that is used to measure the distance between two points in a given space. It assigns a numerical value to the distance between two points, and is often used in geometry and analysis.

2. What is a concave function?

A concave function is a mathematical function that has a graph that curves downward. It is also known as a concave downward function. In other words, it is a function that has a decreasing rate of change.

3. What does it mean to compose a metric function with a concave function?

Composing a metric function with a concave function means to use the output of the concave function as the input for the metric function. This allows for the measurement of distance between two points to be influenced by the concavity of the function.

4. What are some applications of using a metric function composed with a concave function?

One application is in optimization problems, where the concavity of the function can help to find the optimal solution more efficiently. It can also be used in data analysis, where the curvature of a function can affect the distance between data points.

5. What are some examples of metric functions composed with concave functions?

One example is the Euclidean distance formula, which is a metric function composed with a concave function (square root). Other examples include the Mahalanobis distance and the Chebyshev distance, which both use different concave functions in their calculations.