Michelson Interferometer - calculating errors

In summary, the conversation discussed finding expressions for intensity, interference phase, total change of interference phase, and <L1>/L0 and its error. The solution involved using equations for phase difference and change in phase, and considering the proportionality constant and time dependence in the expressions. However, there were some uncertainties in finding the proportionality constant and solving for n(0) due to the time dependence in the equations.
unscientific

Homework Statement

2dng9y.png

Part (a): Find an expression for intensity, interference phase and total change of interference phase.

Part (b): Find an expression for <L1>/L0 and its error.

Part (c): Find an expression for Δø1 and proportionality constant.

Part (d): Find an expression for n(0) and α.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)

[tex]v_t = (<v> - \frac{\Delta v}{2}) + \Delta v(\frac{t}{T})[/tex]

The phase difference is given by ##\Phi_0 = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} (2L_0) = 4\pi v_t L_0##.

[tex]\Phi_0 = 4\pi L_0 \left[ <v> + \frac{\Delta v}{2}(\frac{2t}{T} - 1)\right][/tex]

Change in phase:
[tex]\Delta \Phi_0 = \Phi_{0(T)} - \Phi_{0(0)} = 4\pi L_0 (\Delta v)[/tex]

Part (b)
[tex]\Delta \Phi_0 = 4\pi L_0 (\Delta v)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta \Phi_1 = 4\pi L_1 (\Delta v)[/tex]

Therefore,##\frac{<L_1>}{L_0} = \frac{\Delta \Phi_1}{\Delta \Phi_0} = \frac{\sigma_{(\Delta \Phi_1})}{\sigma_{(\Delta \Phi_0)}}##

To find the change of this, consider ##x = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta z}##, ##dx = (\frac{\partial x}{\partial y})dy + (\frac{\partial x}{\partial z})dz##. Therefore ##\sigma_{(\frac{<L_1>}{L_0})} = 2 \frac{\sigma_{(\Delta \Phi_1)}}{\sigma_{(\Delta \Phi_0)}}##.

Part (c)

Now the length is replaced by:
[tex]L_{1(t)} = <L_1> + \frac{\Delta L_1}{2}\left[ 2\frac{t}{T} - 1\right][/tex]
[tex] = 4\pi(<L_1> + \frac{\Delta L_1}{2})(<v> + \frac{\Delta v}{2}) - 4\pi(<L_1> - \frac{\Delta L_1}{2})(<v> - \frac{\Delta v}{2})[/tex]
[tex] = 4\pi\left[\Delta v <L_1> + \Delta L_1 <v>\right][/tex]

The proportionality constant ##C = \frac{\sigma_{\Delta L_1}}{\Delta L_1}## I have no idea how to find it.

Part (d)

Using ##n_i = n(<v> - \frac{\Delta v}{2})## and ##n_f = n(<v> + \frac{\Delta v}{2})##, and since ##v_t## grows linearly with time, therefore ##n_{(\gamma)}## grows linearly with time.

Thus ##n_{(\gamma)} = n_i + \frac{(n_f - n_i)}{T}t = n_i + \Delta v(\frac{t}{T})##

Equating to the expression given: ##n_{(\gamma)} = n_{(0)} + \alpha \gamma = n_0 + \alpha \left[<v> + \frac{\Delta v}{2}(\frac{2t}{T} - 1)\right]##:

[tex] \alpha = \frac{n_i - n_0}{(<v> - \frac{\Delta v}{2})}[/tex]

To solve for ##n_{(0)}##, we need path difference to balance out:
[tex] \sigma_{L_1}= C\Delta L_1 = \frac{L_b}{ n_{(0)} + \alpha \gamma = n_0 + \alpha \left[<v> + \frac{\Delta v}{2}(\frac{2t}{T} - 1)\right]}[/tex]

But this seems strange as there is a time dependence in the denominator.. Also, how do I solve for proportionality constant C in part (c)?

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpp

Part (c) - how do i find the proportionality constant?
Part (d) - it is weird that I end up with a time dependence in the error of L1

1. How does a Michelson Interferometer work?

A Michelson Interferometer uses a beam splitter to divide a single beam of light into two beams that travel along different paths. The two beams then recombine and create an interference pattern, which can be used to measure small changes in the length of one of the paths.

2. What are the sources of error when using a Michelson Interferometer?

The main sources of error when using a Michelson Interferometer are environmental factors such as vibrations, thermal expansion, and air currents. Other sources of error include imperfections in the optical components and misalignment of the mirrors.

3. How do you calculate the errors in a Michelson Interferometer?

The errors in a Michelson Interferometer can be calculated by taking multiple measurements and using statistical analysis to determine the standard deviation or uncertainty in the measurements. This uncertainty can then be used to calculate the errors in the final measurement.

4. What is the importance of calculating errors in a Michelson Interferometer?

Calculating errors in a Michelson Interferometer is important because it allows for a more accurate and precise measurement. By understanding and accounting for the sources of error, scientists can improve the reliability of their results and ensure that their experiments are producing meaningful data.

5. How can the errors in a Michelson Interferometer be minimized?

The errors in a Michelson Interferometer can be minimized by carefully controlling the environmental factors that can affect the measurements. This can include using vibration isolation systems, temperature control, and eliminating sources of air currents. Additionally, regularly calibrating and aligning the optical components can help reduce errors in the measurements.