Special Relativity: Rotated Michelson Interferometer

In summary: This gives d1 = c*(1-v2t1) and on the right side, substitute for d1 in terms of c and t2. This gives d1 = c*(1+v2t2).I get the total distance traveled by the light beam in the second arm to be d2 = sqrt(L2 - 2Lvt2*sinθ + v2t22). Substituting in the same values for c and t1 and t2, I get that d2 = c*(1-v2t1) + c*(1+v2t2). In summary, the light in the first arm travels a distance of d1 and in
RyanP

Homework Statement

The aether-wind theory of the Michelson-Morley experiment was discussed in class
for the special case where the arms of the interferometer (each of equal length L) are
parallel and perpendicular to the wind. In this problem we consider the general case
for an angular setting. The aether wind in moving with velocity v in the -x direction, while the arms of the interferometer are each offset clockwise by an angle θ from the x and y axes. Prove that to a good approximation, the time difference between light pulses from each arm is, t = (v2L/c3) * |cosθ|

Hint: Do NOT solve the problem in the Lab's frame. Instead look at it from the point
of view of the aether frame, where the instrument is moving toward the right with
velocity +v, and where the speed of light is always c.

Homework Equations

distance traveled by a beam of light = ct

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the distance light travels in the first arm (the one that is offset from the +y axis). In the first portion of the light's path, it covers an x displacement of Lsinθ + vt1 and a vertical displacement of Lcosθ. Using the Pythagorean theorem, I get the total distance traveled by the light beam in the first part to be d1 = sqrt(L2 + 2Lvt1*sinθ + v2t12). Then using the same approach I find that the light's return trip distance d2 = sqrt(L2 - 2Lvt2*sinθ + v2t22)

I use the same idea to get the distance traveled by the light beam in the second arm (offset from the +x axis by the same angle). The result is very similar, just with some cosines instead of sines, etc. I understand that the time for the light to travel there and back along an arm is (d1+d2)/c , but I don't know how to get from here to the result above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
RyanP said:
I get the total distance traveled by the light beam in the first part to be d1 = sqrt(L2 + 2Lvt1*sinθ + v2t12).
On the left side, substitute for d1 in terms of c and t1.

1. What is the Special Relativity: Rotated Michelson Interferometer?

The Special Relativity: Rotated Michelson Interferometer is a scientific experiment used to test the principles of special relativity. It involves using a highly precise interferometer to measure the speed of light in different directions, which can reveal effects predicted by special relativity theory.

2. How does the Rotated Michelson Interferometer work?

The Rotated Michelson Interferometer consists of two perpendicular arms, with a beam of light split and sent down each arm. The beams are then reflected back and recombined, producing a pattern of light and dark bands called an interference pattern. Any changes in the speed of light in different directions can be detected by measuring shifts in this pattern.

3. What is the significance of the results from the Rotated Michelson Interferometer?

The Rotated Michelson Interferometer has been used to test the predictions of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference. The results have confirmed this theory and have helped to further our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

4. How accurate is the Rotated Michelson Interferometer?

The Rotated Michelson Interferometer is a highly precise instrument, capable of measuring changes in the speed of light as small as one part in a billion. This level of accuracy is crucial for testing the predictions of special relativity and has been achieved through advancements in technology and experimental techniques.

5. What are the potential applications of the Rotated Michelson Interferometer?

While the Rotated Michelson Interferometer is primarily used for testing the principles of special relativity, it has also found applications in other fields such as astronomy and geophysics. It can be used to measure very small changes in the speed of light, which can provide valuable insights into various phenomena and processes in the natural world.