Microbiological examination for E.col

• Thread starter hagopbul
  • Start date
In summary: It's not really a pathogen, it's just an indicator of fecal contamination. If you're looking for something to be concerned about, you might want to look at Salmonella, which is a more dangerous bacterial strain.In summary, Hagopbul is looking for a resource/database that will help him find different bacteria and their "breakfast preferences," as well as a software to help him identify them. He is also looking for guidance on how to do this type of examination.
hagopbul
I use in my company . United States Pharmacopeia but when i search for maltodextrin.
and they need for that a microbiological examination for E.col And salmonella what references did i need to use (or software) to accomplish this examination ?

i need to photos and way to do that examination ?

Biology news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Could you rewrite your question in a concise manner?

i tell you i need references or software for microbiological examination

References as in citations to literature? What are you trying to examine for, what is it you need?

i don't have any idea about microbiological examination that why i need ref. i need a way to learn this where should i look

I can't help you until you tell me what you want to get out of this. "Microbiological examination" is not an individual thing, it's an entire field! Do you want to do cell culture? Genomics? Proteomics? RNA extractions? etc etc etc

hagopbul said:
i don't have any idea about microbiological examination that why i need ref. i need a way to learn this where should i look

And what is this for? College work? Self experimentation? What are the specifics?

just identification of Study of bacterial colonies if E.col or something ales
so i detected which bacterial colonies are Developing on agar Dishes

So you want to grow colonies on agar plates and determine if E.coli is present? If so perhaps something like this would help http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/ill-intox/ecoli/ecoli_0157-eng.php

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense meant! but I just can't help remembering this outstanding commercial from Berlitz :wink:

"What are you sinking about?" -

/Fredrik

thank you but i need more form that to help me discovery what bacteria or breakfast are grow on agar plates
reference or software give right way to chose agar (examine visual and examine microscope and examine color ) so can i identification microbe or breakfast are grow up?

I'm sorry hagopbul but you really need to improve your English. I can't understand you, what you've said makes no sense. Are you using an online translator by any chance?

I suspect OP seeks a resource/database where he can search for different bacteria and then find their "breakfast preferences" :smile:

(ie. what to put into the agar plates as growth medium when looking for a particular bacteria, and how the visual apperance is made (patterns etc)).

It should be easy to search on the web to find suggestions for specific bacterias, but as for a database (as in the form of software) I don't konw. I have no experience with that. But it sounds like a complete such database would be nice, but also unlikely to be free.

/Fredrik

Fra said:
I suspect OP seeks a resource/database where he can search for different bacteria and then find their "breakfast preferences" :smile:

(ie. what to put into the agar plates as growth medium when looking for a particular bacteria, and how the visual apperance is made (patterns etc)).

It should be easy to search on the web to find suggestions for specific bacterias, but as for a database (as in the form of software) I don't konw. I have no experience with that. But it sounds like a complete such database would be nice, but also unlikely to be free.

/Fredrik

If that's the case (and if it is well done for working it out) then I would advise you hagopbul to read papers that cover the same avenue of research that you want to do. That way you can get an idea of what agars are appropriate.

Alternatively just look through websites that sell agar and read the product descriptions
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/analytical-chromatography/microbiology/basic-ingredients/agar.html
http://products.invitrogen.com/ivgn/product/30391023a

The USP specifies methods for both isolation and identification of E.coli snd Salmonella spp.. The culture method <61>. If you're in the US you can also check FDA's BAM.

Think the article took much license with projected application. The closest thing offered in this issue of thecited journal was Lee et al. and, per abstract, looked only at plastic particles, not specific bacteria.
Also and despite the simplisitc, alarmist media, E. coli in general is not a pathogen - it's an indicator of potential fecal contaminaiton. Some specific strains(e.g. 0157) can cause disease but that distinction is ignored in news reports.

JorgeLobo said:
Think the article took much license with projected application. The closest thing offered in this issue of thecited journal was Lee et al. and, per abstract, looked only at plastic particles, not specific bacteria.
Also and despite the simplisitc, alarmist media, E. coli in general is not a pathogen - it's an indicator of potential fecal contaminaiton. Some specific strains(e.g. 0157) can cause disease but that distinction is ignored in news reports.

Thats true, E. coli is actually a happy native little member of your lower GI flora. In most cases it lives there peacefully with the other bugs that call lower half of your GI home. This is the same for many "bad" bacteria we "give a bad wrap too". Most "pathogenic" bacteria that cause problems in humans are only opportunistic pathogens and will only act as such when the immune system is on the down and outs (a kind of lovely kick you when you are down).

Not only that but the features of a specific strain dictate its pathogenicity. Certain combinations of genetic features make strains of bacteria more pathogenic than their fellows of the same species which lack those features.

1. What is E.col and why is it important to examine it microbiologically?

E.col, also known as Escherichia coli, is a type of bacteria commonly found in the intestines of humans and animals. While most strains of E.col are harmless, some can cause serious foodborne illnesses. Microbiological examination for E.col is important in identifying and monitoring potential sources of contamination, as well as ensuring food safety and public health.

2. How is microbiological examination for E.col conducted?

Microbiological examination for E.col involves collecting samples from various sources, such as food, water, or fecal matter, and culturing them in a lab to detect the presence of E.col bacteria. The samples are then analyzed for specific markers, such as the presence of certain enzymes, to identify the strain of E.col present.

3. What are the different methods used for microbiological examination of E.col?

There are several methods used for microbiological examination of E.col, including culture-based methods, such as selective media and biochemical tests, as well as molecular methods, such as polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific objectives of the examination.

4. What are the potential health risks associated with E.col contamination?

E.col contamination can lead to foodborne illnesses, such as diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and vomiting. In severe cases, it can also cause kidney failure and even death. People with weakened immune systems, young children, and older adults are at a higher risk of developing serious complications from E.col infections.

5. How can E.col contamination be prevented?

E.col contamination can be prevented by practicing good hygiene, such as washing hands before and after handling food, cooking food thoroughly, and avoiding cross-contamination between raw and cooked foods. It is also important to properly store and handle food to prevent the growth of E.col bacteria. Regular monitoring and testing of potential sources of contamination, such as food processing facilities and water sources, can also help prevent E.col outbreaks.