Microcontroller tech vs. Computer-aided engineering

In summary: I'm not sure if that would be a better fit for me. It doesn't have a lot of the theory behind it that I'm interested in, but it does seem like it would be more practical.In summary, if you are pursuing the mechatronics route, I would recommend you go with the microcontrollers.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
Hello folks,

This is a bit of an "academic guidance" question, but I feel it is most appropriate here.
What are your thoughts regarding the usefulness of the two subjects listed? I have a choice going into my final semester between these two, and it is turning out to be a difficult one. Microcontrollers has more interest for me, but the class-schedule will be brutal. The computer-aided engineering course is only one night a week, but it doesn't seem like it would be very useful.
I already know my way around Solidworks and Ansys, although I don't really know the theory behind FEA and CFD. I've taken other automation and robotics courses, and microcontrollers aligns itself well with those subjects.
I guess the question really is this. Which one is more useful, and which one is easier to learn on my own?

Thanks,
Mac

Engineering news on Phys.org
Both are useful in their own way, it sort of depends on the path you're imagining you want to go in your career. With modern engineering going the way its going, automation and robotics are a big push in industry.

[Socratic Method] Do you have any feeling for which of the two classes you will learn more from? [/Socratic Method]

Likes MacLaddy
Mech_Engineer said:
Both are useful in their own way, it sort of depends on the path you're imagining you want to go in your career. With modern engineering going the way its going, automation and robotics are a big push in industry.

[Socratic Method] Do you have any feeling for which of the two classes you will learn more from? [/Socratic Method]

Thank you for the reply.
Gut feeling? I should take the microcontrollers course because it stays on track with my mechatronics path, I find it more interesting then anything Ansys (I'm not a fan), and I believe it would be more useful.
Unfortunately, I'm not a typical student. Full time work and school--as well as being a father of two--tends to make my time extremely limited. I have to thoroughly vet any decision I face and get the best information available. It isn't only about what I want, but also how it will affect my future.
I appreciate your answer though. It is--I suppose--what I wanted to hear. I just need to make sure nobody screams "you'll rue the day you didn't learn FEA! You'll never go anywhere without CFD!"

So, what's wrong with taking both classes a semester apart? FEA is a very useful tool for anyone designing parts for robotic systems, but control electronics are important too.

Mech_Engineer said:
So, what's wrong with taking both classes a semester apart? FEA is a very useful tool for anyone designing parts for robotic systems, but control electronics are important too.

Well, to put it mildly, I've had enough of this educational adventure. I've been working on this bachelors for--what will be--seven years, and I'm not going any further then I need to. I'm pretty sure my wife would not only divorce me if I took extra classes, but curse my soul for eternity.

If you are pursuing the mechatronics route, I would definitely recommend you go with the microcontrollers. In order of importance both of those are step behind, with FEA next and CFD and long third. For both of those, more likely or not any organization that depends heavily upon either of them is going to either have or seek out people that specialize in those technologies.
FEA is a good tool , but its correct application requires a deep understanding of the methods of constructing models to get accurate results and I have seen more erroneous results than good ones. An engineer with a basic FEA course is not really prepared to effectively use this technology without considerable practice and standard stress analysis verification.
As for CFD, that falls in the same category and actually is only required and effective for a very small and specialized range of flow analysis situations.

Likes MacLaddy
JBA said:
If you are pursuing the mechatronics route, I would definitely recommend you go with the microcontrollers. In order of importance both of those are step behind, with FEA next and CFD and long third. For both of those, more likely or not any organization that depends heavily upon either of them is going to either have or seek out people that specialize in those technologies.
FEA is a good tool , but its correct application requires a deep understanding of the methods of constructing models to get accurate results and I have seen more erroneous results than good ones. An engineer with a basic FEA course is not really prepared to effectively use this technology without considerable practice and standard stress analysis verification.
As for CFD, that falls in the same category and actually is only required and effective for a very small and specialized range of flow analysis situations.

Thank you, that is what I was starting to suspect. The computer-aided engineering course is only a single night a week anyway, and I don't believe it would provide me with anything more than an introduction to the subject.
I'm pretty sure that I will choose the microcontroller course, and then after I graduate I will attempt to teach myself CAELinux. Maybe get some good reference material on FEA theory.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Mac

1. What is the difference between microcontroller technology and computer-aided engineering?

Microcontroller technology refers to the use of a small, integrated circuit chip that contains a processor, memory, and input/output peripherals to control electronic devices. On the other hand, computer-aided engineering (CAE) involves the use of software to design, analyze, and simulate engineering systems and components.

2. Can microcontrollers be used for computer-aided engineering?

Yes, microcontrollers can be used in conjunction with CAE software to design and simulate electronic systems. They can also be used as the control mechanism for the physical prototype being tested in the CAE simulation.

3. What are the advantages of using microcontrollers in engineering?

Microcontrollers offer several advantages in engineering, including compact size, low power consumption, and cost-effectiveness. They also provide real-time control and can be easily programmed and reprogrammed for different applications.

4. Is computer-aided engineering more accurate than traditional engineering methods?

In most cases, yes, computer-aided engineering is more accurate than traditional engineering methods. This is because CAE allows for more detailed and precise simulations, reducing the possibility of human error. However, the accuracy of CAE also depends on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions made in the simulation.

5. What are some common applications of microcontrollers in engineering?

Microcontrollers are used in a wide range of engineering applications, such as robotics, automation, embedded systems, and consumer electronics. They are also commonly used in industrial control systems, medical devices, and automotive systems.