Getting started with Robotics and microcontrollers

In summary, the speaker is interested in building a quadrotor or rover using Arduino/AVR and is unsure of the best way to get started. They are considering buying a kit with instructions, but are also interested in using Simulink to control the robot. They mention websites, such as openpilot.org, that are dedicated to drone building and associated software. This project is a way for the speaker to apply system dynamics, physics, and electronics engineering.
waltersobchak
I want to work on building a quadrotor or rover using Arduino/AVR. What is the best way to get started? Should I buy a kit with instructions? This is my first time venturing into robotics using microcontrollers. I am not sure if buying a kit is more useful (or maybe a specific kit produced by Arduino or Rasp Pi) as it may come with instruction or booklet to get started. This project would be a way for me to really incorporate system dynamics, physics and electronics engineering into practice.
I would eventually like to use Simulink and incorporate it to control the robot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are some websites dedicated to drone building and the associated software needed to control the drone one such example is:

https://www.openpilot.org/

Likes waltersobchak

1. What is a microcontroller?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is used to control electronic devices. It contains a processor, memory, and input/output peripherals, making it a self-contained system that can be programmed to perform specific tasks.

2. What is robotics?

Robotics is the branch of technology that deals with the design, construction, operation, and use of robots. It combines elements of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science to create machines that can perform tasks autonomously or with human guidance.

3. How do I get started with robotics and microcontrollers?

To get started with robotics and microcontrollers, you will need to have a basic understanding of programming and electronics. You can start by learning a programming language such as C or Python and familiarizing yourself with basic electronic components and circuits. There are also many online tutorials, books, and workshops available to help you get started.

4. What are some popular microcontrollers used in robotics?

Some popular microcontrollers used in robotics include Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and PIC. These microcontrollers are affordable, easy to use, and have a large community of users, making them ideal for beginners. However, more advanced robotics projects may require more powerful microcontrollers such as STM32 or BeagleBone.

5. What are some basic components needed for building a robot?

The basic components needed for building a robot include a microcontroller, motor controller, motors, sensors, and a power supply. Additional components such as wheels, chassis, and actuators may also be needed depending on the type of robot you are building. It is important to have a clear understanding of your project goals and requirements before selecting the necessary components.