Microscopes and Students: How Many are Needed?

• Thread starter L²Cc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a simple algebra question involving the relationship between the number of students and microscopes in a biology class. Through a process of "guess and check," the value of s can be determined by solving the system of equations s - m = 6 and s = 2m - 6. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of the user's successful solution and the clarification of their gender.
L²Cc
Simple algebra question

Homework Statement

In a biology class of s students, there are m microscopes available. if the instructor assigns one micrope to each student, 6 more microscopes will be needed. If the instructor had twice as many microscopes available and assigned one microscope to each student, 6 microscopes would be left over. What is the value of s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for s by "guess + check". I tried expressing the word problem algebraically, but I can't seem to get it right. I get a negative instead of a positive value, so I find the absolute value and end up with the final results. Yet, I'm sure there is another way out.
Here are my equations:
sm=m-6
Hence, s= (-6/m)
Second equation,
2ms=m+6
Then I do substitution and get -18??!
Also, my equations don't really illustrate what is described above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"In a biology class of s students, there are m microscopes available. if the instructor assigns one micrope to each student, 6 more microscopes will be needed."

How is s and m related here? What equation does this wordiness reduce to?

"If the instructor had twice as many microscopes available and assigned one microscope to each student, 6 microscopes would be left over."

And here? What is the equation?

Why is there a product of s and m?

In the first case, there are six students more than the number of microscopes available, i.e. the difference between the number of students and microscopes is 6.

s - m = 6

Now, can you get the second equation?

equation for second situation: s=2m-6
Thank you!

Last edited:
Indeed!
So, start solving the system.

just by looking does s=18

+Minkie+ said:
just by looking does s=18

Let OP manage something on his own, okay?

Besides, he has already "guessed&checked"

arildno said:
Besides, he has already "guessed&checked"

arildno, it's (I'm) a she, and I did solve the system! Thank you!

L²Cc said:
arildno, it's (I'm) a she, and I did solve the system! Thank you!

Dear me. With such a masculine user name, I would never have guessed that.

:wink: !

Related to Microscopes and Students: How Many are Needed?

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and understand relationships between quantities.

2. What is a variable in algebra?

In algebra, a variable is a symbol or letter that represents an unknown quantity or value in an equation. It is usually represented by a letter such as x, y, or z.

3. What is an algebraic expression?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical phrase that contains variables, numbers, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It does not contain an equal sign and cannot be solved.

4. How do you solve a simple algebraic equation?

To solve a simple algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This involves performing the opposite operation of the given operation until the variable is left alone on one side of the equation.

5. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it provides a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and is used in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and finance. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.